What's new

Need help in choosing Linksys router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jabooty

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been reading alot on this site and looking at the charts, but still having hard time deciding which router to get.

Im looking at the Linksys WRT400N or the WRT310N, I know the main difference is the gigabit connection in the 310N but....

WRT400N-
1. Since its Simultaneous Dual-Band, is that bad because doesn't the 5ghz have shorter range and more interference?

WRT310N-
1. I have read in Linksys forums, that this router can get very hot, any truth to this? I definitely dont want a hot router :eek:!!

2. I saw there is a WRT320N what is the difference between these two?

thanks!!!

WRT400N-
1. Since its Simultaneous Dual-Band, is that bad because doesn't the 5ghz have shorter range and more interference?
It's not bad. Simultaneous dual-band has two radios so that the router can handle clients in both bands at the same time.

WRT310N-
1. I have read in Linksys forums, that this router can get very hot, any truth to this? I definitely dont want a hot router :eek:!!
Draft 11n routers tend to run warmer than 11g. But they don't get hot enough to burn anything.

2. I saw there is a WRT320N what is the difference between these two?
WRT320N is dual-band (not simultaneous). WRT310N is 2.4GHz only.

Thanks for your response!!

I'm still undecided though. Looks like the 400n is more stable routing throughput, but the 310N has better download speeds.

Do you prefer one or the other?

I have no preference. Unless your Internet connection is 90+ Mbps, the high routing speed doesn't matter.

Can you turn off the 5GHz on the 400n, because I have 5.8GHz panasonic phones in the house, or does that not really matter with interference?

Yes, you can shut off each radio. The router won't affect your phones. But the phones will affect your router. Many "5.8GHz" phones also use the 2.4GHz bands.

The only cordless phones (in the U.S.) that are completely ok to use with wireless LANs are DECT 6.0, which use the 1.9GHz bands.

ok thanks for the info.

I have a Linksys WRT54GX router now, and it doesn't seem like the phone its interferring with the router. My connection for my laptop and xbox 360(which is connected to a WGA600n) have been great.

Lately i have had some disconnects though but not all the time. That's why I have been reading on this site about possible new routers.

You say the phone isn't interfering, but you're also having disconnect problems.

Run an experiment where you start a long file copy or download via wireless, then make a phone call and move close to the router and the wireless client during the call and see if you get disconnects.

I ran the experiment you suggested and I did not get any disconnects at all. I was on the phone for quite a few minutes, walking back and forth between the router and my laptop, and no disconnects.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!