What's new

Will AiMesh nodes with wireless backhaul repeat SSID/pass from non-AiMesh router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
I know this is a weird question, it's too complicated to explain why I want to know this, but basically the question is this - In an AiMesh system, if the main router fails or turns off, will the nodes still act as Wi-Fi repeaters and repeat the same SSID/pass if they get it from elsewhere? Or will they only repeat it if it comes from within that AiMesh system?

I know they will if they are set up as Repeaters, but what if they are set up as AiMesh nodes?

Thanks!

Yes, nodes will continue broadcasting the same SSIDs and the same password when router is down.
But of course you won't get internet access if router is down.
But you'll still be able to access the devices connected to the same node.

Yes, nodes will continue broadcasting the same SSIDs and the same password when router is down.
But of course you won't get internet access if router is down.
But you'll still be able to access the devices connected to the same node.
Basically I have a redundant router with its own WAN that can kick in if the main router dies, and it'll broadcast the same SSID/password but it won't be part of the AiMesh. So you're saying the AiMesh nodes left without a main router will continue to rebroadcast the SSID/password even if it's coming from somewhere else?

So you're saying the AiMesh nodes left without a main router will continue to rebroadcast the SSID/password even if it's coming from somewhere else?

Each node has its own radios and firmware configuration... once a node is configured and ON, it will broadcast its own WLANs... they are not coming from somewhere else.

OE

Each node has its own radios and firmware configuration... once a node is configured and ON, it will broadcast its own WLANs... they are not coming from somewhere else.

OE

I don't think I explained it well, since the nodes have wireless backhaul, they are basically Wi-Fi repeaters. So will they continue to repeat the SSID/password if it's coming from somewhere other than the main AiMesh router, in the event that the main AiMesh router goes down.

So I'm not talking about the client-facing network, I'm talking about the backhaul.

If they are put in AP mode, they obviously will repeat the the SSID/password regardless of where it's coming from, as long as the credentials work. But if they are set up as AiMesh nodes, will they still do it? My guess is no.