What's new

Need new router: AC86U + mesh, AX88U, AiMesh, ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Toneti

New Around Here
Hi,

I need to improved my current hardware because:
- I want advanced settings
- I live in a three storey house and my current 5 GHz band does not cover all the rooms

Because of the first requirement, I am considering an ASUS (Merlin firmware) and the second requirement leads me to mesh systems.

Things to take into consideration:
  • My current router (ISP's) is in the first floor (I know this is a problem because is not in the middle of the house) so I would activate Bridge Mode and put the new router next to it.
  • Two rooms (one in each of the remaining floors) are wired, which allows me to have the router in the second floor in the future (now is not an option unless a very small router).
  • These wired rooms are an advantage if I choose to buy a mesh network because I could have at least two wired AP (or three if I decided to put one in the third floor, which is not my current idea).
  • I don't want to spend a lot of money unless the hardware is for 5-8 years... I mean, I am considering some routers which support AX but they are expensive and I am afraid in two or three years there will be some others better (more and useful features) and cheaper.
My options are:
  • Option 1 (400 - 450€): ASUS AC86U + 3-pack Deco M9 Plus
  • Option 2 (550€ - 600€): ASUS AC86U + 3-pack Orbi RBK53
  • Option 3 (???): AC router with a powerful 5 GHz that makes the mesh unnecessary
  • Option 4 (???): ASUS AX88U or another AX router that worth its price and makes the mesh unnecessary
  • Option 5 (150€-200€): AC86U in the second floor.
In option 1 and 2 I would buy the router and try it. If not enough, I will consider option 5 or the mesh system and, of course, the router will handle everything but the WiFi (I will put the three devices as AP).

Obviously the option 5 sounds like the best but options 1 and 2 seems to solve the WiFi issues until I need yo upgrade to AX devices.

My doubts are:
  1. [Option 5] If I have the chance, my new router will be on the second floor, but the map will be:
    Bridge --> 15m of cat. 5e --> Switch --> AC86U
    Would this setup have any performance problems?

2. [Option 4] In 3-5 years, will be AX a must? If so, are there AX routers that worth its price and have the hardware needed in the future (firmware could be updated)?

3. [Options 3 & 4] Is there any AC or AX router that really makes the mesh useless (big home but not large distances)?

4. [All] AiMesh: Could two good routers (AX88U + AC86U) replace a mesh system like the Orbi RBK53 (three devices)? Because it's another option: AC86U now and in one or two years buy an AX and use the AC86U as a node.

5. [Options 1 & 2] Mesh devices are very expensive. Do they worth their prices? I mean: Orbi with AC are expensive but with AX are very expensive and if I buy AC now in some years I would need to upgrade but if I pay AX now I would "waste" more than 1000€ and that is not a clever choice.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Suggest to get ac access point if range is main need. ax may be for future generations clients and no immediate need unless all devices gets benifit from it. I would say get wave 2 ac access point and wired router would be ideal for expansion in long run .if you have wired provisioned through out home. In wall wave 2 and nano hd from ubiquiti will serve

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-nanohd-us
UniFi In-Wall HD Access Point

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-in-wall-hd

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/uap-beaconhd

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/usw-flex

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions! What about the fast roaming between the AP and the router? Does it work as expected?

While Asus hardware and Merlin will let you get a glimpse of more control and features, if you're looking for the most of either, you'll eventually want to move on to community/open-source and/or business-class hardware and software. It's the end-all in terms of "more advanced settings".

If your general answer to further defining the services/features you want is mostly along the lines of "no clue, but I know I want features!", then Asus may be good enough for this refresh. That said, especially you're buying into this as a learning platform, you may also want to look at the likes of Cisco Small Business, TP-Link Jetstream/Omada, Ubiquiti Edge/UniFi, Mikrotik, OpenWRT, etc. That class of stuff will give you arguably the most fully-featured SOHO network for the least amount of outlay.

5Ghz Coverage - Since you can hard-wire almost all nodes, buying something with wired backhaul support goes without saying, and is the most optimal interconnect method. A consumer mesh product like Asus AiMesh will give you centralized control and added range as baselines, but does have it limits (all APs on the same channel, no VLANs, no PoE, no advanced management). Small-business grade, controller-based AP products such as Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada will give you multiple fronthaul channels, better seamless roaming, PoE, VLAN support and much deeper overall control.

TL;DR on wifi - Success with distributed, scalable wifi systems rests on getting clean, lower-dB signal as close to your wifi endpoints as possible, which often means more numbers of APs at lower-power, versus the consumer paradigm of fewer, over-amplified erector sets blasting high noise-to-signal. For more on understanding why that is, see this Duckware article for an excellent primer on wifi.

Switching is a similar paradigm. The Asus integrated switches are probably fine for simple access, but if you want more management, higher throughput, PoE and/or just a more reliable, upgradeable LAN, you'll want discrete managed switching. It doesn't have to be expensive to start with (for basic VLAN tagging, a TP-Link SG108E is only $29), and you can scale up as you go. That said, I would suggest a beefier L2+ managed PoE switch as your "core", if you choose to buy one now (Cisco SG, UniFi USW, etc.).

Hope that helps to better paint a picture of what's possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Very interesting and useful!

To be honest, I do not need a professional use, just personal (casual). I am using pihole and OpenVPN through my NAS (Synology) and just want to move them to the router (and of course I need more advanced options than my current router).

My main problem is the 5 GHz range in two rooms and in the garden. Maybe a better router (AC86U) is the solution. If not enough, one AP would be enough although the wires are not in the best spot.

BUMP. Would someone please answer Toneti’s questions in more detail? I have the same questions and would like to see feedback on each of the 5 options he posts.

My situation: my RT-AC88U completely died on me a few days ago after 3 years and I am in need of a new solution (no old routers to mesh). I have a 3200 sf two story house (wood/drywall) and one well placed powerful router was working. There were 5GHz weak spots but SmartConnect always worked to prevent any dropping, and my numerous 2.4Ghz clients have always worked. I am intrigued with trying AiMesh (or AP) but after researching it seems that simpler is better if it works. That said, I have a 1Gig connection and would like to get the most out of it. I would prefer to use one router that is super stable (veteran firmware), can benchmark with the best them, and has the range I need. I am not interested in AX any time soon, but don’t want miss out on the newer hardware specs (most of the top rated AC routers are aging). My house is wired such that I can wire backhaul 2 nodes/APs, but I’m sure one more router would be ample. Therefore, I am very interested in responses to Toneti’s #3-#5 options. I would very much appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sure it depends on needs basically Both solution works but WIFI range and elimination of dead spots if prime then suggest the Ubiquiti . AX is early stage as 6E on the pipeline may surface by end of 2020 or early 2021.

If you have wired back haul then Ubiquiti is best option as it does not need power just POE is suffice provided your setup has that . Once setup done you can forget and it will be ease to manage and will get more control over the network .

A gateway + POE switch+ nano HD or Flex HD + Inwall

Or

Netgear x4s , Netgear x10 as router and AP of your choice .

If you can and only want Asus then try the new A9x model from Asus it has good hardware spec and pricing also close to 450 dollar. But AP is needed for wider coverage.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!