What's new

Netboot OS X On RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blueboxer002

New Around Here
HOLY COW.

Normally someone can go to Google and figure out most answers in life. But I am struggling. Spent the better part of 7 hours trying to research how to boot OS X from my external HDD plugged into the USB 3.0 port. Left with more questions than answers.

So, is anyone aware of how to use either Merlin Firmware, DD WRT, Tomato, or modify the stock firm ware to utilize the BSDP protocol ( my understanding, that is Apple's netboot process name) so I can netboot into OS X ?

Here seems to be some of the protocols and processes needed from the router to accomplish a netboot with OS X: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203437

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

I am thinking that is going to be the main road block as I am reading some of the code here and there and I see BSDP everywhere. I do not know if the Merlin firmware knows what to do with BSDP communication from the client.

I am thinking that is going to be the main road block as I am reading some of the code here and there and I see BSDP everywhere. I do not know if the Merlin firmware knows what to do with BSDP communication from the client.

It' s not actually about Merlins code, it uses standard dnsmasq, if dnsmasq does not support it...then your out of luck unfortunately...
And it does not depend on specific router or code, apple just has bad habbit of developing proprietary protocols for everything...

But according to this, you would need to set up separate server and point your Mac to it via dnsmasq dhc-options. As it needs server side Apple specific configuration as well.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203437

I would actually try to tftpboot it instead, as this method uses standard stuff... ;)
Not sure actually running tftp server on asuswrt though, probably not possible either.
Unless you are able to install tftpserver parts via Entware...

Keep in mind though, that actual DHCP server, providing dhcp options for netboot information does not have to be same machine, where image is actually served. :)

Last edited:
What problems are you actually running into?

Beware that I never tried OSX myself..but booting Linux from Asuswrt-Merlin is like eating a piece of cake :)

Not sure actually running tftp server on asuswrt though, probably not possible either.

I bet tftp server is actually dnsmasq itself. You don't need external tftpd :)

I bet tftp server is actually dnsmasq itself. You don't need external tftpd :)

You are absolutely right...
https://stelfox.net/blog/2013/12/using-dnsmasq-as-a-standalone-tftp-server/

But as I boot my machines from synology box, using dnsmasq as plain dhcp server which only provides necessesary options, I just forgot that possibility...

What problems are you actually running into?

Beware that I never tried OSX myself..but booting Linux from Asuswrt-Merlin is like eating a piece of cake :)

Even PXE booting Windows is not as hard as it will look like ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!