What's new

New ASUS RT-AX86U arriving today

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
New ASUS will be here today.
Anything I need to know before starting it up for the first time? I want to simply rename SSIDs, add passwords for the 2.4 and 5 ghz section..Just want to run it, let it do its thing before maybe installing Merlin? or any other tuning.
I imagine I will need to install new firmware, if it has sat in a warehouse for a while.
So, any insights, recommendations would be awesome.
Thnx, in advance.

Anything I need to know before starting it up for the first time? I want to simply rename SSIDs, add passwords for the 2.4 and 5 ghz section..Just want to run it, let it do its thing before maybe installing Merlin? or any other tuning.
I imagine I will need to install new firmware, if it has sat in a warehouse for a while.
Thnx, in advance.
It will run fine at stock settings. If you run into issues you can start tuning and troubleshooting. But it should be good to go out of the box if you aren’t looking to play around and tweak the settings.

Edit: just be sure to update the firmware. The most recent was problematic and has since been pulled. The current posted firmware is very solid. Ending in .46061 .

Thnx, in advance.

My install notes may offer some suggestions.

Here in the US, WiFi6 AX at 160MHz squeezes into two 5.0 frequency ranges... I prefer using a non-DFS control channel in the lower range for max compatibility with older clients that may not recognize a DFS control channel... and hope for no DFS disruption in my area. Otherwise, I'd stick to AX at 80MHz on non-DFS channels until WiFi6e arrives.

If you use any DFS channels, expect longer startup delay before you see the 5.0 WLANs while the router scans for DFS interference.

OE

I am in the USA. Only one computer uses AX, and that is my laptop.
Your notes are very detailed.. Thnx.
All the other equipment uses N and AC Wifi.. I was going to set it up for them getting 2.4GHZ only and my laptop only use 5ghz? Is that a problem? Or am I loosing anything by not having 2.4Ghz also come to my laptop?

All the other equipment uses N and AC Wifi.. I was going to set it up for them getting 2.4GHZ only and my laptop only use 5ghz? Is that a problem? Or am I loosing anything by not having 2.4Ghz also come to my laptop?
Unless you need long range use you should connect the AC clients to the 5Ghz to avoid the overcrowded 2.4 space. You’ll lose range using 5Ghz over 2.4Ghz, but you will have much more bandwidth.

No, not a problem. But demoting all non-WiFi6 clients to the 2.4 band seems unnecessary and may limit their wireless throughput by comparison to a 5.0 connection in range.

Notice that using/not using Smart Connect (same/different SSIDs) subtly changes the wireless settings offered by the router firmware... so, what you can actually configure will reflect this... don't scheme too much until you get into it.

OE

Last edited:
All done. I set it up, runs great, speeds increased to a little past what I am paying for, 600Mbps.. Hit 669 first time running speedtest..
Upstairs is next 474 door shut to FROG, door shut..
Very nice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!