What's new

New router for powerline expansion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kojiono

New Around Here
Hey there, I want to expand the range of the network in my parent's house. Right now the router is in the middle of their house and the rooms in the corners don't get a decent signal. I've moved the router around a few times but I've decided that the house is simply too big for only one router.

My current set-up
  • DIR-825 (B1)
  • 3 iPod touch, 5 iPhones, 3 iPads, 3 MacBooks, and 3 Windows laptops; but probably only 10 devices at any given time, and mostly web surfing or watching video (from online or from a LAN connected DNS-320)
  • XBox connected to the network via a DHP-500 powerline adapter (I couldn't add ethernet)

The DIR-825 has been pretty great so far; no issues and generally stable; and the addition of the DHP-500 has worked out well.

I want to upgrade their router and converte the DIR-825 into an AP connected via the DHP-500. My main priority would be stability, with solid wifi performance coming second.

The routers I was considering are:
Asus N66U
Netgear WNDR4500
Linksys EA4500
D-Link DIR-827
Apple Extreme

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!