What's new

No internet/LAN on first connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

newway

New Around Here
I recently upgraded router to a ASUS AX3000 (ax58u) to used as an AP for my home. I have separate 2.4g and 5g SSID.
(My main router has a different SSID).

I have noticed a strange behaviour that on some devices such as my android phone and my wife's iPhone. When we came home, my Android will show that I am connected to the Asus 5Ghz SSID, but with "no internet" message, and I cannot even open my router via the local IP (but my WiFi status shows I have the correct 193.168.1.xx IP assigned). On iPhone(12), the WiFi setting shows that it is connected to the ASUS's 5Ghz, but the status bar shows the phone is using cellular data.

On both phones, the issue can be resolved by disconnect/reconnect to the same 5Ghz SSID again (eg turn off WiFi/turn on again, or switching to 2.4g and back again).

This only happens to the 5Ghz network. And other stationery devices such as TV/Xbox/laptop seems unaffected.

On the router the WiFi is set to use WPA2-Personal and with 160Hz enabled.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

I recently upgraded router to a ASUS AX3000 (ax58u) to used as an AP for my home. I have separate 2.4g and 5g SSID.
(My main router has a different SSID).

I have noticed a strange behaviour that on some devices such as my android phone and my wife's iPhone. When we came home, my Android will show that I am connected to the Asus 5Ghz SSID, but with "no internet" message, and I cannot even open my router via the local IP (but my WiFi status shows I have the correct 193.168.1.xx IP assigned). On iPhone(12), the WiFi setting shows that it is connected to the ASUS's 5Ghz, but the status bar shows the phone is using cellular data.

On both phones, the issue can be resolved by disconnect/reconnect to the same 5Ghz SSID again (eg turn off WiFi/turn on again, or switching to 2.4g and back again).

This only happens to the 5Ghz network. And other stationery devices such as TV/Xbox/laptop seems unaffected.

On the router the WiFi is set to use WPA2-Personal and with 160Hz enabled.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Disable 160mhz, leave it at 20/40/80. Make sure DFS channel options is not selected. The iphones won't use 160 anyway and I suspect there may be some DFS stuff going on.

Did you change any other wireless settings? Generally leaving them all at the default is recommended (other than disabling universal beamforming, but even that is not a requirement, it can help get better throughput in some cases).

Only other thought is when was the last time you rebooted the ISP router - could be the DHCP server in it is having issues and needs a restart.

Disable 160mhz, leave it at 20/40/80. Make sure DFS channel options is not selected. The iphones won't use 160 anyway and I suspect there may be some DFS stuff going on.

Did you change any other wireless settings? Generally leaving them all at the default is recommended (other than disabling universal beamforming, but even that is not a requirement, it can help get better throughput in some cases).

Only other thought is when was the last time you rebooted the ISP router - could be the DHCP server in it is having issues and needs a restart.
Thanks will try the DFS and 160Mhz bandwidth settings first. I don't see how it can be DNS as the 2.4g is functioning all the time.

If you're using the same SSIDs from your old router, try removing them, rebooting the phones, and re-associating them.

Or, if that doesn't work, try a full network reset on the phones instead.

try a full network reset on the phones instead.

Something I like to do from time to time on my phones anyway, however should caveat that you will need to re-pair any bluetooth devices (and reconfigure their settings/permissions) and also re-add any saved wifi networks.

For some, not a big deal, for others they do this not realizing it and are furious that they lost the wifi networks of every hotel they ever stayed at 😄

I'm a bit of a reset freak with some stuff, I'll get a new SIM card every year (pSIM before, eSIM now) and combine that with a full network reset. Especially these days with T-mobile adding/changing bands and merging in Sprint etc, the SIMs are getting updated more frequently.

Back in the blackberry days I'd factory reset the thing once a year and reconfigure it from scratch, but with modern smart phones there is just way way too much to go through and re-set up.

In OPs case if it can connect and authenticate, seems unlikely to be a problem with the saved network and more likely related to 160mhz/DFS but never know.