What's new

Noob questions on Media/Samba servers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RDaneel

Occasional Visitor
I have an 87U, seems to work well, been using Asuswrt-Merlin since the 2nd day - just updated to 378.56_2. :)

I have recently loaded all of my media to a USB3-attached Samsung T1 external SSD.

My primary client/playback device is an OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray/media player.

The "media server" works well for video material of various formats, but when I try to use it for my FLAC collection, it all shows up as expected from the perspective of the client device, but it really doesn't sound right - as if it is being transcoded - a common issue with DLNA servers AFAIK.

So, I would like it if a) it can be confirmed that it probably is transcoding my FLAC files, and b) someone can help me disable this functionality - to be clear, I am totally happy to disable any and all transcoding.

Next, I would be (probably) fine with just using the Samba server, except that I can find no combination of username/password that works from the OPPO client device - whether or not I enable "guest logins"... I have no problem accessing all of my files and folders on the mounted Samsung T1 SSD with or without "guest" access, but the OPPO always prompts me for a username/password pair, and any account info I supply doesn't work.

To clarify that last statement, I have tried both the "admin" account info that I use for the 87U itself, and I have used the Samba share "app" to add accounts - neither of these work when I supply the credentials to the OPPO's credentials popup... so I am likely stuck with the media server, unless someone can explain what I need to do to make Samba accessing work - and if I do have to use the media server, I really want to disable any transcoding.

Next, I would be (probably) fine with just using the Samba server, except that I can find no combination of username/password that works from the OPPO client device - whether or not I enable "guest logins"... I have no problem accessing all of my files and folders on the mounted Samsung T1 SSD with or without "guest" access, but the OPPO always prompts me for a username/password pair, and any account info I supply doesn't work.

To clarify that last statement, I have tried both the "admin" account info that I use for the 87U itself, and I have used the Samba share "app" to add accounts - neither of these work when I supply the credentials to the OPPO's credentials popup... so I am likely stuck with the media server, unless someone can explain what I need to do to make Samba accessing work

I have the exact same issue with an RT-AC3200, Asus Merlin 380.68_4, and an Oppo UHD-203 UHD Blu-ray player.
The UHD-203 sees the Samba share but refuses to let me log in.

I called Oppo and was told that Oppo uses SMB 2.0 protocol, so I enabled SMB2 protocol in Merlin, but that didn't help.

NFS works fine though with the Oppo BDP-203.

There appears to be a related thread over here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unable-to-log-into-samba-server-with-merlin-firmware.25971/

Last edited: