What's new

[SOLVED] OpenVPN allowed hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mad_ady

Regular Contributor
I'm using OpenVPN with my Asus (RMerlin firmware) and I'm quite happy with it.
However, I recently got a new request - to enable an account only during certain hours. E.g. the VPN account can connect only during 8:00 - 16:00, and must be disconnected after 16 (if it is connected).

I could script my way through this and use bash + cutter + mangle the router configuration to add and remove the account based on cron events, but before I start in my journey to madness, I'd like to ask if there is already an elegant way to implement this that I might not know of?

Thanks

Based on the number of replies, I'm guessing there isn't...
Ok, fine... I'll do it the hard way. Will try to post a guide when it's done... :)

Ok, I've built something along these lines:
* when disabling access, delete the user from nvram vpn_serverx_clientlist, nvram commit and restart openvpn
* when enabling access, add the user + password back to nvram vpn_serverx_clientlist, nvram commit and restart openvpn

This works beautifully, except for the part where openvpn still connects with a user that is no longer in the nvram (at least not in nvram get). Most likely the users are cached someplace else and I need to edit/restart something else.

Any idea what that could be?

Here is my current script, for reference: https://pastebin.com/ZfYF9dmp (if you run this, remember to delete temporary-user when you're done!).

Ok, I've dug a little through the filesystem and it looks like openvpn authenticates using libpam - with users defined in
Code:
/tmp/etc/group.openvpn
/tmp/etc/passwd.openvpn
/tmp/etc/shadow.openvpn
I can change my script to change the user there, but I wanted to ask first:
1. What is the mechanism by which a user from nvram gets configured in /tmp/etc/*.openvpn?
2. Is there a built-in command-line way to do openvpn user-management?

Well, apart from the *.openvpn files I've noticed that the accounts are merged in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group.
So - this would mean I could use standard usermod to enable/disable a user.

Is there a problem if I do this - apart from the lack of useradd/usermod/userdel?

Is there a better way?

Well, I've made it work at an acceptable level. The new script (https://pastebin.com/nLdtpaER) will enable or disable the user directly in /etc/shadow by adding or removing a '!' from the password hash string.

You will need to edit the file and set USER to the vpn user you want enabled/disabled and SERVER to server1 or server2 depending on what the user connects to.

Next run the script in cron with either enable/disable parameters.

When the user is disabled the vpn process is restarted if that user is connected, to force its disconnection. So all connected users may feel a slight disconnection.

Bugs: If the client to be disconnected uses "OpenVPN connect" if you disable the account and the client tries to connect and fails, the client forgets the saved password :(. However "OpenVPN for Android" doesn't have this problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!