What's new

PC LAN disconnects when transferring files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fitnesspmm

Regular Contributor
PC LAN card: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Router: ASUS AC5300

ASUS support have no clue!

I never had a problem transferring files from PC (LAN) to PC (wifi) with my old router. Every time I try to transfer files now, the LAN connection always drops out after about 10-180 seconds. It seems to be with large files.

My drivers are all up to date!

Sending large files can cause the NAS to disconnect because some have file size limits. Also, try checking your router because some routers buckle and drop under heavy use.

My 15 year old Netgear never had problems sending files like this. Even tho I have a top of the range ASUS router now, it shouldn't be doing this!

I have lowered the speed for the PC (LAN) from 1000 to 100 where it seems to be ok. Does drop out only 20% of the time now compare to all the time. I still wish to have speeds faster if possible.

Can you describe exactly what you mean by "the LAN connection drops". Do you just mean that the file transfer stops with an error, or is the LAN interface physically disconnecting from the router leaving your LAN PC with no network connectivity at all?

Does this only occur with transferring files to this specific wireless client? What about other (wired) clients?

How are you transferring the files? Copying between Windows' shared folders in Explorer?

Last edited:
Are you writing to a USB drive attached to the router?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Can you describe exactly what you mean by "the LAN connection drops". Do you just mean that the file transfer stops with an error, or is the LAN interface physically disconnecting from the router leaving your LAN PC with no network connectivity at all?

Does this only occur with transferring files to this specific wireless client? What about other (wired) clients?

How are you transferring the files? Copying between Windows' shared folders in Explorer?

Physically disconnecting from the router. I noticed the network icon changes to a 'red x' then to a 'yellow icon.'

It happens with wired to wired, wired to wifi and wifi to wifi.

Yes, it happens when I copy from windows shared folder in Explorer.

It happens with wired to wired, wired to wifi and wifi to wifi.
That's interesting. So you also have a WiFi card in your main PC and that is disconnecting in the same way as its wired Ethernet connection?

EDIT: Don't have both wired (Ethernet) and WiFi adaptors on the same machine enabled at the same time.

Have a look in the router's syslog for any messages around the time you are doing the transfer.

When the connection drops, do all the other devices on your LAN also lose their connections to the router? I could be that the router is rebooting itself, the syslog will show this if it's the case.

That's interesting. So you also have a WiFi card in your main PC and that is disconnecting in the same way as its wired Ethernet connection?

EDIT: Don't have both wired (Ethernet) and WiFi adaptors on the same machine enabled at the same time.

Have a look in the router's syslog for any messages around the time you are doing the transfer.

When the connection drops, do all the other devices on your LAN also lose their connections to the router? I could be that the router is rebooting itself, the syslog will show this if it's the case.

No I don't have both adaptors turned on where the router doesn't reboot itself. All wifi connections are still active when the LAN drops out on this 1 PC.

For the Wifi connections (I tried 3 devices), it just comes up with an error to write where the connection doesn't drop out. I've done LAN to Wifi, Wifi to Wifi, LAN to Router (USB Drive), Wifi to Router (USB Drive).

It's this program called Netbalance that is causing these problems. I use this program to see up/down network transfer speeds on my taskbar but it seems to cause more headache even tho all the options are off.

Anyhow, problem is now resolve thank god!

It's this program called Netbalance that is causing these problems. I use this program to see up/down network transfer speeds on my taskbar but it seems to cause more headache even tho all the options are off.

Anyhow, problem is now resolve thank god!
I'm using netBalancer for monitoring the speed, and ending it on task manager solved the issue, now I'm able to transfer large files without any problem.
Thank you