What's new

Poor download speed over WiFi with Asus RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bearcat

New Around Here
I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC3200.

I've now set it up, downloaded and installed the latest version of firmware from Asus and I'm not getting the download speeds over WiFi that I was expecting to get. The WiFi signal is strong (dB signal strength/attenuation figures are 2.4 GHz -52 dBm and 5 GHz is -62 dBm) and the router is less than 5 metres from my PC’s and separated by a plasterboard stud partition wall.

I'm on Virgin Media 200Mb cable broadband and have a Superhub 3 which is in Modem Mode. If I connect my PC to the Superhub 3 by ethernet cable (by-passing the RT-AC3200) according to http://www.speedtest.net/ I am getting a download speed of 200Mbps. However, if I use the Asus RT-AC3200 and connect over WiFi I only get 94Mbps.

I have tried two PC's both with different Gigabit WiFi Network cards, one is TP-Link Archer T8E AC1750 and the other is an Asus PCE-AC56, and both only give me a download speed of 94Mbps, so I assume the problem is with a setting or settings in the RT-AC3200.

Can anyone please advise me on how to increase the download speed over WiFi?

Have you verified the ethernet speed connected via the rt-ac3200? you only talk of checking it completely without.

As for me it works fine to my laptop through a solid wall at around 5m, I still get full 200mbit from internet ( and slightly more still for LAN )

Have you verified the ethernet speed connected via the rt-ac3200? you only talk of checking it completely without.

As for me it works fine to my laptop through a solid wall at around 5m, I still get full 200mbit from internet ( and slightly more still for LAN )

I've just connected each PC in turn to the RT-AC3200 and run the speed test, both show same download speed of 94Mbps, which is the same as the WiFi download speed.

You say that yours works fine. Did you make any chages to the settings?

Nothing that I can particularly recall! have you tried a different cable from router to modem? that almost sounds like it's negotiated a 100mbit link from router to modem if wired connection is that slow! I have had it sometimes drop to that and had to replug cable.

Nothing that I can particularly recall! have you tried a different cable from router to modem? that almost sounds like it's negotiated a 100mbit link from router to modem if wired connection is that slow! I have had it sometimes drop to that and had to replug cable.

Thank you. Changed the cable as you sugested and now getting 210Mbps throught ethernet and 203Mbps by WiFi. Never thought of changing the cable. Many thanks for your help.