What's new

Port Forward

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alxnt

Occasional Visitor
Hi, what port should I open on asus router for torrenting? External or internal(or both)?

Hi, what port should I open on asus router for torrenting? External or internal(or both)?
None. Your Torrent client should work with no specific ports open. I even have UPnP disabled.

None. Your Torrent client should work with no specific ports open. I even have UPnP disabled.

But you're not seeding so you get poor download speeds (or at least poorer than if you were seeding).

Your torrent client should have a port specified, you can choose one or have it choose a random one. Then you add that port to the asus (under both external and internal or just put it under external and it will copy it to internal for you) and point it to the PC you're using. uPNP should do it for you if you have that enabled (though having that enabled is a mild security risk).

You only need to do this if you want to upload/seed. Without any port forwarding you can still download, though you will likely get slower downloads if you aren't seeding.

Hopefully you aren't downloading copywritten stuff without a VPN, or you're going to get a nasty note from your ISP and eventually service shut off. If you use a VPN, then the port forwarding in the router doesn't matter, you would need to use a paid VPN service that allows inbound port mapping and that is where you would configure your torrent port.

Your torrent client should have a port specified, you can choose one or have it choose a random one. Then you add that port to the asus (under both external and internal or just put it under external and it will copy it to internal for you) and point it to the PC you're using. uPNP should do it for you if you have that enabled (though having that enabled is a mild security risk).

You only need to do this if you want to upload/seed. Without any port forwarding you can still download, though you will likely get slower downloads if you aren't seeding.

Hopefully you aren't downloading copywritten stuff without a VPN, or you're going to get a nasty note from your ISP and eventually service shut off. If you use a VPN, then the port forwarding in the router doesn't matter, you would need to use a paid VPN service that allows inbound port mapping and that is where you would configure your torrent port.
I used to have it on both internal and external but I was reading something and mentioned only extrenal, so I changed it. It never copied to internal but checked and port is open. I always disable upnp as I use only manual port forwarding.

I used to have it on both internal and external but I was reading something and mentioned only extrenal, so I changed it. It never copied to internal but checked and port is open. I always disable upnp as I use only manual port forwarding.

Having it on both is the same as having it on just external, it takes care of it on the backend if you leave internal blank. If you don't need to remap the port (which you don't for torrenting), just leave it blank for simplicity.

Having it on both is the same as having it on just external, it takes care of it on the backend if you leave internal blank. If you don't need to remap the port (which you don't for torrenting), just leave it blank for simplicity.
Thank's!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!