What's new

[Preview] 380.57 alpha test builds for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI, stock firmware on the RT-AC5300 is 3.0.0.4.380_753-g9c0ce54 (last number is commit ID). It'd be interesting to look at what changes went in between 753 and 858. Running with stock for a bit at first.

Ok, so to get this straight, the N66U 380 alpha firmware is a combination of open source from the 380 alpha and the binary blob from previous 37x firmware? I'm sure Asus will keep supporting it as they still sell it, as far as I know and that'd be a bad business decision if not. Merlin, I know everyone thanks you a lot but all the time, experience and work you put into this is very admirable. I have no money but I have sister. She make you great wife.

Guys, I never said I was dropping support for any model. I said that THIS RELEASE will not be made available for all models, due to missing components, unless the missing components become available before the final release. Just like 378.56 was not available for the RT-N66U, but 378.56_2 was because by then, the missing components were made available.

Thank you for the toughtful response. It definately sets my mind at ease. Your work is appreciated.

No, they didn't. And as I previously mentioned, they did the same thing last year, finalizing 378 on the new models, and only upgrading past models once the 378 code was stable.

Thank you for this information. It's all I was looking for. Have a great evening.

Ok, so to get this straight, the N66U 380 alpha firmware is a combination of open source from the 380 alpha and the binary blob from previous 37x firmware? I'm sure Asus will keep supporting it as they still sell it, as far as I know and that'd be a bad business decision if not. Merlin, I know everyone thanks you a lot but all the time, experience and work you put into this is very admirable. I have no money but I have sister. She make you great wife.

Agreed.

Merlin, can you tell me is the swap file on attached disk keeps disk from spining off? Also still have problem with crash router when transfer files from attached disk through computer to external disk. Only power off and power on resolves the problem. Also still huge drain on android devices. This actual feedback for alpha4 on AC87U.

Great, do you have drain battery on Android devices and do your hard disk spinning continuous?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk
Quick answer, 22% lost over night in standby on Tablet Z, so the Android battery fix is probably not implemented in this build.

Merlin, can you tell me is the swap file on attached disk keeps disk from spining off? Also still have problem with crash router when transfer files from attached disk through computer to external disk. Only power off and power on resolves the problem. Also still huge drain on android devices. This actual feedback for alpha4 on AC87U.

I don't recommend keeping a swap file on a external hard drive. Even if the drive spun down the router would lock up for a few seconds until the drive spun back up when the system tried to access swap.

Get a USB flash drive and plug it into the USB 2.0 port and use that for swap.

Alpha 4 is working fine on my rt-ac3100. I did not do any factory resets with any of rmerlin's alpha releases and I had zero problems. I did a factory reset for alpha 4 because I felt like it.

I apologize if this is a know issue but I did do a search.

Traffic Monitor - Global Real-time graph WAN(Internet) connection looks very similar to my Wireless (2.4) graph except that traffic is not going out the WAN port but is being recorded to a Wired PC. Asus AC88-380.858 doesn't have this problem but Merlin's alpha3/4 does. Also the Wireless 5 GHz graph show ZERO activity on the receive side. This issue is in all 3 versions of the firmware. Port monitoring issue maybe? This is for the Asus RT-AC88. Thanks...

If I have 2.4GHz disabled on my AC66, do I need to care about the breakage reported? I flashed alpha 4 yesterday and haven't had any issues.

If I have 2.4GHz disabled on my AC66, do I need to care about the breakage reported? I flashed alpha 4 yesterday and haven't had any issues.
No issue = nothing to care about! :rolleyes:

I was gona give this whirl but would seem there is not FW for AC66U as of yet or i just looking in wrong place

N16 is still supported by ASUS, but not by RMerlin.

Not sure about Asus, they haven't updated the N16 code for a long time, last sign of life was "Beta Version3.0.0.4.378.4850 2015/04/07", so not supported by the mobile app. I suspect the small nvram an issue.

I received recently an email from ASUS reporting that its still supported, and that a recent FW version will be out.

"Quick answer, 22% lost over night in standby on Tablet Z, so the Android battery fix is probably not implemented in this build."

How does the router firmware stop droid batteries from draining?

Reactions: bmi
Repost of what I wrote in the RT-AC5300 thread:

Asus published the GPL code for the RT-AC5300 on Monday, so I was able to merge it in, and evaluate the amount of effort involved in supporting that model (very little). I sent a test build to someone who owns an RT-AC5300, and was able to sort out the only issues we could find so far (Stealth Mode support).

So I can finally announce that I will be able to support the RT-AC5300 in the next Asuswrt-Merlin release. Expect an alpha build to be uploaded to Mediafire in the coming days, next time I refresh them.

Also, I might be able to work around the 378/380 mismatch issues, provided the only difference is that extra ID that was inserted in the 380 version. At least it did fix that country-related problem I was able to observe here with the RT-AC66U. It's an ugly hack, but if it works, and it's only temporary anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.