What's new

[Q] Adaptive QOS Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

Hey guys :) . So, i saw on internet that u should set the upload qos to 85% the real upload speed? Cause they say if all upload is drained. The download speed will go down? What is the best percentage of upload speed on the QOS recommended? Btw. Im using RT-AC3200 :) . Thx for your help :)

Hi,
i have experimented with QOS settings recently. I had issue that my OpenVPN speed was capped to 10Mbit even ISP speed is 50MBit.
In QOS I put in bandwidth settings 49/9 (speedtest ISP 50/10) to lower bufferbloat.
But that was the cause that my VPN is capped - instantly after I set Adaptive QOS and Bandwidth Settings to Auto my RT-AC3200 reached VPN speeds above 40Mbit.
Bufferbloat is little worse but still A graded on DSL reports.

Btw @Goran. I have 50mbit dl too. And not "defined" ul speed. But its pretty stable to 3 Mbit. I know. So lame :( but my region is like this :( .. And about vpn. U use VPN from buying services or what?

I am using PIA.
OpenVPN client with Policy rules.

I've tried everything but I can only get higher VPN speed if is bandwidth set to Auto.

85% might be a bit excessive. I use 30/10 with my connection that's provisioned at 33/11 (yes, my ISP is weird. Last year they bumped most profiles 10% above their advertised speeds. Probably so speedtest results would look faster than the competition or something....)

85% might be a bit excessive. I use 30/10 with my connection that's provisioned at 33/11 (yes, my ISP is weird. Last year they bumped most profiles 10% above their advertised speeds. Probably so speedtest results would look faster than the competition or something....)
But if qos on. If no one using internet. Will u got the full speed? Btw. Is it better to just use auto for the bandwidth option?

But if qos on. If no one using internet. Will u got the full speed? Btw. Is it better to just use auto for the bandwidth option?

No, the speed gets capped at 85%. That's why you'll probably want to bump that to 90-93% instead.

No idea how well Auto works, I don't use it. I suspect that for your goals (reducing bufferbloat) it won't work, since you'd still be saturating your link at its fullest.

If possible, forego doing any QoS on download. (I could rant about the reasons why, but, just from a trial & error perspective, try it.)

No, the speed gets capped at 85%. That's why you'll probably want to bump that to 90-93% instead.

No idea how well Auto works, I don't use it. I suspect that for your goals (reducing bufferbloat) it won't work, since you'd still be saturating your link at its fullest.
So the upload 85% and the download is unlimited? Cuz i saw that people says that if upload is fully saturated . the down speed will go downnn. Is that right?

So the upload 85% and the download is unlimited? Cuz i saw that people says that if upload is fully saturated . the down speed will go downnn. Is that right?

Set both to 90-92%.

Why cant the download to unlimited? . i thought only upload can affect dl speed if all upload saturated. (Tested by myself)

Saturating your downlink can also cause latency issues.

For reference, without QoS/rate-limiting, when my download is saturated, my ping increases to ~50ms from ~10ms (QoS/rate-limiting improves the max ping to ~30ms). When I saturate upload, my ping increases to ~600ms (depending on the router/modem I am using).

So, I choose to only limit my upload, since getting 100% of my download is worth the minimal latency increase.

I think latency during download saturation is ISP dependant, so YMMV.

QoS is a complex topic, and it's hard to have one single set of recommendations that will work appropriately for everyone. QoS implementation depends in great deal on your particular usage scenario.

Experimentation remains your best bet if you don't have the technical know-how to analyze your particular setup.