What's new

QoS Download Bandwidth capped at 100Mb?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gbcox

New Around Here
I'm trying to setup QoS and have found that apparently you can't use it for download speeds above 100Mb. If I set it to 300Mb, speedtest.net tops out at around 100Mb, if I turn QoS off, I can get 300Mb. Anyone else seen this issue?

I'm trying to setup QoS and have found that apparently you can't use it for download speeds above 100Mb. If I set it to 300Mb, speedtest.net tops out at around 100Mb, if I turn QoS off, I can get 300Mb. Anyone else seen this issue?

What router? QoS is not compatible with HW acceleration, so some routers will be limited to 100-150 MB/s due to the CPU being unable to provide more throughput.

What router? QoS is not compatible with HW acceleration, so some routers will be limited to 100-150 MB/s due to the CPU being unable to provide more throughput.

Thanks for the quick reply... I have the RT-AC66U
It's running 3.0.0.4.376.48_1

Is this true also on AC87? (QOS disables HW acceleration?)

Will turning off QOS help with OpenVPN? (I will try it.)

I tried OpenVPN on the AC87, and was disappointed that it did no better than my DIR-825. But, of course, I am comparing apples and oranges, because I had the DIR-825 configured for IPSec VPN using StrongSwan on OpenWrt.

FYI I just ran speedtest and checked CPU, keep in mind my service is capped at 130mbit/sec.

The AC87U CPUs were loafing. 33% on Core 1 and 15% on Core 2.

So, ought to be good for at least 500mbit/sec.

I'll turn off QOS and test again. That should tell me about hardware acceleration.

I was wondering what typical caps on Speedtest are. I can see from this post it can be at least 300mbit/sec. Cox tends to give away extra bandwidth, and was curious if Speedtest can provide a realistic measure.

Interestingly, Cox has it's own Speedtest server on their own network, which you can access through a link when you are logged-on to Cox's web portal. It is worthless, at least here in San Diego, because it provides much less throughput than the public servers. I mean, actually pathetic throughput. I don't know why they would do that. It's just going to make customers complain. (It is hard to find, though.)

I imagine the public Speedtest servers here are on or near the big "golden triangle" fibre ring we have here. I worked for a couple years at Sony San Diego Studio (PlayStation) and we hosted in-house, not in a data center. There was an ISP next door, and many more in the area. It was a former AT&T building.

Last edited:
I'll turn off QOS and test again. That should tell me about hardware acceleration.

LOL, answered THAT question!

Turned off Adaptive QOS, ran Speedtest again, getting the same 130mbit/sec.

Core 1 1%
Core 2 1%

Actually, it occasionally blipped up to 1% from 0%.

Thanks for the quick reply... I have the RT-AC66U
It's running 3.0.0.4.376.48_1

Then it's the limit of your router's CPU, and it's normal.

LOL, answered THAT question!

Turned off Adaptive QOS, ran Speedtest again, getting the same 130mbit/sec.

Core 1 1%
Core 2 1%

Actually, it occasionally blipped up to 1% from 0%.

Adaptive QoS is compatible with NAT acceleration level 1 (CTF) but not level 2 (CTF+FA). Traditional QoS is not.

Level 1 is sufficient to reach about 500 Mbps with Adaptive QoS enabled (that's at least the throughput I measured when I tested it a few months ago).

I tried OpenVPN on the AC87, and was disappointed that it did no better than my DIR-825. But, of course, I am comparing apples and oranges, because I had the DIR-825 configured for IPSec VPN using StrongSwan on OpenWrt.

I haven't re-tested with the AC87U's 1 GHz CPU, but with the AC56's 800 MHz CPU I was able to reach about 50 Mbps through an OpenVPN tunnel.

That would be sufficient, given my upload cap of 10mbit/sec!

Of course, VPN to an asymmetrical Cable connection gives you bandwidth in exactly the wrong direction, at least if you're going to enable default routing and surf through the VPN.

But it's great for sending your stuff home when on the road. (Assuming you get some decent upload bandwidth.)

I expect this is good enough for typical hotel connections, etc.

The one real plus for OpenVPN is it's tenacious hold of the connection. IpSec drops on iOS devices and then you have to re-enable it. You always have to glance to see if you have the VPN indicator if the screen goes idle.

through an OpenVPN tunnel

Ah, yes, a much better choice for surfing. Or, I have a VPS in a data center, but then I come out in Texas instead of San Diego, so would get weird localizations to place where I neither am nor live. Easier, though, to just pay the few bucks for the OpenVPN service.

Last edited:
Funny this post would come up. Just got 300MB TW. My upload was still maxed out a 1M (yes, 1), and down was bouncing all over the place, but in general slow (under 100). Turned off QOS (no other changes) and bang, I got a solid 20MB up and a 100-150 MB down. I also have a AC66U. I am a much happier camper now.

I have a different experience and I've noticed a couple others do outside the asuswrt merlin forum.

It does not matter if I enable or disable Level 1 CTF on my TM-AC1900/RT-AC68U using 3.0.0.4.376_2827 as a TM-AC1900 or using Merlin's latest 3.0.0.4.376_48_1 (being a TM-AC1900 with modified CFE).

Download bandwidth will not be throttled. I have a 60/12 connection from my ISP and i set it to 50mbps to impose throttling and it still gives me 59,340kbps either way.

Upload throttling works (even with L1 CTF and I remember you, Merlin [correct me if im wrong] saying somewhere that the RT-AC68U is one of the first to do both as it bypasses acceleration if a packet is tagged for QoS), but download throttling does not and because of it, that 'ol bufferbloat phenomenon rears its head when i saturate the downlink (57ms of it too as ping goes from 17ms to google to 66-74ms for example. Gaming is not possible in that regard).

Is there anyway you, Merlin can adjust this? seems to be a qdisc problem looking at what I got working on DD-wrt using LAN/WLAN throttling with HTB. I would use that for my RT-AC68U but it doesn't have fluent IPv6 capability yet and I have Native IPv6 from my ISP.

Its one reason I flashed merlin thinking it would be fixed in modified firmware.

Last edited:
I don't deal with the QoS subsystem. Plus, most of those so-called "improvements" require kernel-level changes, which would break compatibility with various closed-source components, such as the wireless driver. That's the reason for instance why Tomato's QoS is completely broken in their ARM builds, as they cannot use the same queue discipline they used on MIPS - it requires modifying the skbuf structure, which causes the wireless driver to do a kernel panic at boot time.

I understand what you are saying. Last night I went from 376.48_1 to Tomato/shibby and finally settled on the latest Kong build for DD-wrt (25580M).

What I was really looking for is a working bandwidth limiter. Not the entire QoS classification system to be exact because I don't care that if I had 100 people trying to use my connection, just making stable latency by limiting both "knobs" is what I was trying to acheive.

Of course, asuswrt has it only working for upload and Tomato/shibby had it working for download and upload, but only for IPv4 and not both IPv4 and IPv6.

I had avoided using DD-wrt because its in my opinion, the farthest behind on IPv6 functionality over other custom firmware like OpenWrt, TomatoUSB, and asuswrt/merlin. I went back to it again (used it on my old WRT-300n) because I knew it had a working download and upload limiter that you can set not just for WAN, but LAN and WLAN as well (which actually makes the bandwidth more consistent if you know what you need to limit it to).

Turns out it includes -ip6tables and working radvd and wide-dhcp6/dhcp6s so I have what I specifically was looking for now.
Overall, if asuswrt had working bandwidth limits for both upload and download, I would go back to asuswrt/merlin because it is a lot simpler to configure if I was to hand it off in the future.

Last edited: