What's new

QOS through access points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

misfiringsystem

Occasional Visitor
This is my hypothetical set up:

-> = Ethernet cable

Shaw modem -> router A (access point mode) -> router B (access point mode)

If I set up QOS on router A, would computers connected to router B be governed by the QOS rules set up on router A?

Also, I've heard great things about the QOS software on ASUS RT-N66U.

Is there any other suggestions for consumer router with a decent QOS software?

Thanks.

Your diagram shows both routers set as access points. Most QoS is applied to Internet (WAN <> LAN) traffic. So QoS rules would not be applied to either router/AP.

Just found out my thread's been moved, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

I'll explain what I'm trying to do.

This is my current setup:

-> = Ethernet cable

Shaw modem w/ Wifi (north end of house) -> Linksys w/ WiFi [set up as access point] (south end of house)

This essentially allows me to cover the whole house with WiFi.

Problem is, I have 6 people in my household, and neither the Shaw modem or the Linksys router have very good QOS firmware.

I've heard the Asus N66 has a very good QOS firmware. So what I want is for all internet activity to go through the QOS rules.

I could disable WiFi on Shaw modem, buy 2 Asus N66 router, and connect them as access point, and place each one at opposite end of the house. But that mean I have to buy 2, and Asus N66 isn't cheap either.

That's why I wanted to see if I could buy 1, and connected everything in a way, that any computer that is connected would have to go through the QOS rules on the ASUS router.

On the other hand, I've also heard pfsense and Mikrotik makes very good QOS router, but I've never used any of those before, so I was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations on routers.

Thanks.

First, I wouldn't say that ASUS routers have "very good QoS", at least not with stock firmware.

Second, to use QoS, you need to use the router as a router, not an AP. You can't move the Shaw combo router/modem to the other end of the house and use it as just an AP because it is acting as a modem. You also can't put it behind the ASUS since you need it as a modem.

Buy the ASUS, or whatever other router with QoS that you think will work for you and connect as:

Shaw <=> New wireless router w/ QoS <=> Old Linkys router

Finally, be sure you get the right kind of QoS for your needs. If you are trying to throttle bandwidth to specific levels, you need bandwidth-based QoS. Many router QoS is priority only. Use the Router Finder QoS filters to search.

thiggins,

So what you are saying is, if I put a router into access point mode, I won't be able to use QOS of the router?

If that's the case, what options do I have? I can't move the Shaw modem anywhere else, and I have to use the modem/router combo that they have provided.

Reason I'm looking into QOS is I have people playing games, streaming, torrenting etc., and I want to make sure web surfing (basically email, and stuff, for homework), will not be affected when other people are doing bandwidth intense stuff.

Thanks.

Last edited:
QoS is mostly about prioritizing data to/from the Internet via TCP/IP which are the Layer 3 protocols.

Access points are layer 2 devices, so they are unaware of prioritization that the router will do via the WAN port.

stevech,

If that was the case, is there anything I could do?

Or even take out the access point out of that problem, if I only have the Shaw modem/router unit, and it doesn't have a very good QOS capability, how would I go about implementing QOS to control my internet traffic?

Thanks.

Your thread didn't seem to say what the problem *is* !
Assuming your WiFi is normal (not weak signal, no excessive use on same channel +/- 3 from neigibors), speedtest.net says you are getting what you pay for, on average, then what's the issue?

The vast majority of delay and latench for gaming is from the Internet, not your gear, assuming the prior paragraph.

Router QoS won't fixe the Internet.

Or do you have a different sort of problem?

stevech,

My apologies for not stating it in the OP, WiFi signal is fine.

Shaw gave me a modem/router combo, but the QOS on the router is inadequate. What solutions do I have if I need to have the ability to control internet traffic?

Thanks.

You know before I would spend a lot of money I would try some of the free software versions out there. QOS is not an easy thing to manage. You mention pfsense. It might be worth trying. I have never used pfsense but I use Untangle which is also a free software package for home users. Untangle will give you a nice analysis of your internet traffic. The free version has limited QOS but the reports may give enough information to physically control your home devices. The other thing you may figure out is you need more internet bandwidth.
QOS is applied to traffic leaving your network at your router connected to the internet. QOS does not apply to traffic in your home network.

Last edited:
coxhaus,

I'm concerned about the traffic that leaves the router. I don't want people who's torrenting to hoard all the bandwidth and leave little for others to surf the web.

I kind of looked into pfsense, and actually routers from Mikrotik, and they're actually a lot more advanced than I though, ie, actually need to know stuff about network, which I don't.

Right now, I think I'm just stuck with finding the best consumer router with a really good QOS to control internet traffic?

Only one I know of is Asus, and that's just reading random reviews

Thanks (wish there's a thank button to thank for the replies.)

Rather than "QoS", look for bandwidth (speed/volume) management, also known as "traffic shaping". Uncommon in consumer routers.

stevech,

There certainly has to be way right, at least for home users? :(

I would hate to yell out "Who's downloading/torrenting??!!!" every time Internet slows to a crawl because someone in my house is downloading.

Pardon me for being ignorant, I thought bandwidth management was part of QOS?

Raymond

This is my hypothetical set up:

-> = Ethernet cable

Shaw modem -> router A (access point mode) -> router B (access point mode)

If I set up QOS on router A, would computers connected to router B be governed by the QOS rules set up on router A?

Also, I've heard great things about the QOS software on ASUS RT-N66U.

Is there any other suggestions for consumer router with a decent QOS software?

Thanks.

Here's my setup:

aDSL modem in bridge mode>Asus RT-N66U with default Qos turned on (automatic)>EA4500 in bridge mode

This works great for Qos. It prioritizes web-surfing and gaming with the default settings. All devices connected to RT-N66U or EA4500 have Qos applied to them. I don't currently use VOIP, but when I run the ooma line quality test, it improves the test. Gaming is definite improved.

You'll need to put the shaw modem/router in to bridge mode (or get a different modem). You may have to call shaw to get it in bridge mode.

*note---an EA4500 in "bridge mode" is not the same as the old school LAN-to-LAN cascade. The connection is bridged and is why it works fine. Newer E series and EA series Linksys have a "bridge mode".

**note2---I'm not a Qos expert. I just enabled the thing (on the Asus) and entered my up/down speeds that I pay for from my ISP, and it works great. When I tinkered with it, bad things happened and I screwed it up. That's probably why Asus has an automatic mode. ;)
The firmware that I've used it on is stock Asus .276, but I'm going to try it on Merlins .32 soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!