What's new

Question for you pros.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

I just got fiber about 2 weeks ago (1000 down 1000 up ) and I am running the At&t pace 5268AC with my RT-AC3100. I want to set up my QOS but do have a few questions.

1. Queue Discipline which should I use, at the moment I have it on fq_codel

2. Wan packet overhead, which one should I use?

I use to have Spectrum internet 300 down and 20 up, so since my set up is a bit different and I knew I could pick the, cable option on the wan packet over head.

I am using Merlin FW 384.5 and when I run a speed test I get about 970 down and 970 up, I know if I enable QOS my download speed will take a hit. Funny thing is when I had Spectrum and enabled QOS I would still get the same down and up speeds. Reason I want to set up QOS is because I have a house full of gamers enough said on that I think, lol.

Well I want to say thank you in advance.

I just got fiber about 2 weeks ago (1000 down 1000 up ) and I am running the At&t pace 5268AC with my RT-AC3100. I want to set up my QOS but do have a few questions.

1. Queue Discipline which should I use, at the moment I have it on fq_codel

2. Wan packet overhead, which one should I use?

I use to have Spectrum internet 300 down and 20 up, so since my set up is a bit different and I knew I could pick the, cable option on the wan packet over head.

I am using Merlin FW 384.5 and when I run a speed test I get about 970 down and 970 up, I know if I enable QOS my download speed will take a hit. Funny thing is when I had Spectrum and enabled QOS I would still get the same down and up speeds. Reason I want to set up QOS is because I have a house full of gamers enough said on that I think, lol.

Well I want to say thank you in advance.

I don't know about AT&T but I have the same with Verizion and I don't use their router on the front side. I ran directly to my WAN on the RT-AC5300. Then I ran the WAN from the provider router to my switch and that was it. You may need to copy the mac from your ATT router or have them reset the DHCP for it to work for you. This was definitely faster for me.
With that speed you don't need QOS. You can if you want but I think you will find that you don't need it anymore. If you decide to use it try FreshJR Adaptive QOS. Works very well.

Setup: You may find that the provider uses 192.168.1.1 etc. on their side. I set my router as 192.168.2.1 etc. and use the same across my network that way I don't have to re ip everything every time I change providers.

Last edited:
I don't know about AT&T but I have the same with Verizion and I don't use their router on the front side. I ran directly to my WAN on the RT-AC5300. Then I ran the WAN from the provider router to my switch and that was it. You may need to copy the mac from your ATT router or have them reset the DHCP for it to work for you. This was definitely faster for me.
With that speed you don't need QOS. You can if you want but I think you will find that you don't need it anymore. If you decide to use it try FreshJR Adaptive QOS. Works very well.

Setup: You may find that the provider uses 192.168.1.1 etc. on their side. I set my router as 192.168.2.1 etc. and use the same across my network that way I don't have to re ip everything every time I change providers.

Thanks for the reply man. I will test it out with out the QOS, I am so use to using it when I had spectrum. I checked out that FreshJR QOS thread, looks a bit hard to do for a noob like me to try out. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Personally, with that kind of link rate, I would first try running it without QoS.

Personally, with that kind of link rate, I would first try running it without QoS.

Thats what I am going to try out Mr. Merlin.