What's new

R7800 new firmware 1.0.2.28

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Killhippie

New Features and Enhancements:

• Removed the "Enable Video Network" option on wireless page of the GUI.
Bug Fixes:

• Fixed the issue where the GUI can only accept a maximum of seven keywords to block HTTP sites.
  • Fixed the issue where a folder in a USB storage device can't be renamed.
  • Fixed security issues.
  • Fixed other bugs.

I have noticed since updating to this firmware that admin logs seem screwed now, they no longer show DHCP requests or router logins from the web interface, so I have no idea what happened with this update. The router was reset after the update always, so I'm guessing its a bug if not its not a helpful change! <sigh> maybe @NETGEAR Guy could comment or pass this on to whoever updates their code.

The issue with the admin logs was sorted with another flash of the firmware, I guess there was a hiccup with the first flash for some reason, all is working fine now @NETGEAR Guy but as rbird2 has said the vague release notes still point to the 1.0.2.20 version.

Last edited:
Yay, always good to see fixes for network shares.

It seems the QOS database was rolled back to an older version with this updates, and it does not want to update.

Current Performance Optimization Database on Router

Version: v2.0813.gea65011
Release Date: August 13, 2015

tLqzW1n.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to also add, Netgear should introduce a warning that if you enable DMZ, the openvpn server will not work. it will detect the incoming connection in the logs, but the clients will report an error of server poll timeout.

Yay, always good to see fixes for network shares.

It seems the QOS database was rolled back to an older version with this updates, and it does not want to update.

Current Performance Optimization Database on Router

Version: v2.0813.gea65011
Release Date: August 13, 2015

tLqzW1n.jpg
Mine did that then updated fine, I found for myself flashing the router a second time with a full reset again helped, but my database updated within about 5 minutes back to June 2016's update without issue the first time round.

I would like to see Netgear to stop using code that's ten years old too, and also check and update other code databases like OpenSSL with each release and update them like Voxel has. <sigh>

Just for information:

GPL codes of R7800 contain packages from OpenWRT, some of them are in dl/ directory, 133 total. I was able to replace 74 of them to most recent versions (from the same OpenWRT). Plus some of packages in git_home directories (such as minidlna, proftpd etc.). I.e. more than 60 per cents could be upgraded to versions with bug fixes, with closed security holes, with other improvements. I checked also GPL codes of R7500v1, R7500v2, R9000: they also contain these old packages which could be upgraded… Not only R7800 firmware could be improved. And it is tested with my builds (backward compatibility). All this would improve the quality and stability of the stock firmware. And security fixes. Moreover, I do not have all codes, some of them are pre-compiled, but Netgear has all codes.

Voxel.

I am very happy to see that there are still updates for the Netgear R7800.

On the other side it´s a pity that Netgear still has no local dns server with that new firmware. It´s very annoying that you have to know each of your local server by it´s ip adress instead of just typing "http://hostname".

Couple of topics in the post...assume you're referring to the GPL question?

Have passed on all relevant info to engineering for their comments. Certainly, we will update the GPL module if any issues or vulnerabilities are found.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!