What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running AB-Solution 3 on my AC56U for the past few weeks and it's been fantastic. I use WinSCP to edit my white list and then SSH back in to process it. Smooth operation.

I hope you will consider trying to bring it to DD-WRT - I have a Netgear R6700 (same hardware as R7000) with DD-WRT and I would love to run AB-Solution on it. I might have to switch it over to Xwrt just for AB-Solution, though I don't want to lose FQ_CODEL. I tried to get a Pihole running but had issues with static DNS assignment.

In any event, many thanks for this great piece of software!

Vortex-Xwrt port I've only seen the R7000 running. Are you certain the hardware is identical?

Make sure you have a process in place to recover from a failed flash just in case.

Check the DNS setting on the device. It must be the IP of that router.
ya, i changed dns a couple of days ago on router to googles, i could setup wireless devices to static instead of dhcp but isnt there a setting on router to use router as dns server but its still uses user specified dns

routerdns.jpg

Vortex-Xwrt port I've only seen the R7000 running. Are you certain the hardware is identical?

Make sure you have a process in place to recover from a failed flash just in case.

Apart from a missing USB port, the R6700 has identical hardware to the R7000. It can be converted to have the same device ID as the R7000, so it's possible to use any R7000 firmware with it. I haven't done that yet because I've been running the R6700 version of DD-WRT on it. I really want to use AB-Solution, though.

I've been running AB-Solution 3 on my AC56U for the past few weeks and it's been fantastic. I use WinSCP to edit my white list and then SSH back in to process it. Smooth operation.

I hope you will consider trying to bring it to DD-WRT - I have a Netgear R6700 (same hardware as R7000) with DD-WRT and I would love to run AB-Solution on it. I might have to switch it over to Xwrt just for AB-Solution, though I don't want to lose FQ_CODEL. I tried to get a Pihole running but had issues with static DNS assignment.

In any event, many thanks for this great piece of software!
If you want "something" on DD-WRT.
As long as you have a USB mounted as /jffs (very important, and the only real requirement) mount point, I wrote a script that works fine for IPV4, you are free to use it. I was working on IPV6, but haven't had a chance to finally get it working (so make sure to disable it), as I am now playing with LEDE. The inspiration for this was based off of thelonelycoders work. Only he has taken it MUCH further than I have, but to get basic ad-blocking on DD-WRT with IPV4, my script works fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag4lz9agcvyhzsh/DD-WRT_Ad-Blocker_10.21.2016_SA.sh?dl=0

EDIT: just want to add, I am only sharing. Not trying to take any focus away from ABS :)

Last edited:
The inspiration for this was based off of thelonelycoders work. Only he has taken it MUCH further than I have, but to get basic ad-blocking on DD-WRT with IPV4, my script works fine.
The basic function is the same, grab some common hosts files and have dnsmasq load them up when it starts.
A lot of AB is eye candy and an enormous amount of check code for the most common errors that can happen.

EDIT: just want to add, I am only sharing. Not trying to take any focus away from ABS :)
I have no problem with that.

I have a EA6900 with vortex merlin, I am going to try this. So I need a usb drive formatted in ext4 on the ea6900, right? Tia

I have a EA6900 with vortex merlin, I am going to try this. So I need a usb drive formatted in ext4 on the ea6900, right? Tia
Yup AB installer will put all its files on the USB stick. Im personally using EXT2 on my stick but EXT2 or EXT4 will work.

If you want "something" on DD-WRT.
As long as you have a USB mounted as /jffs (very important, and the only real requirement) mount point, I wrote a script that works fine for IPV4, you are free to use it. I was working on IPV6, but haven't had a chance to finally get it working (so make sure to disable it), as I am now playing with LEDE. The inspiration for this was based off of thelonelycoders work. Only he has taken it MUCH further than I have, but to get basic ad-blocking on DD-WRT with IPV4, my script works fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag4lz9agcvyhzsh/DD-WRT_Ad-Blocker_10.21.2016_SA.sh?dl=0

Wow, thanks so much! Don't want to derail the thread but can you advise on how to go about the install?

Yup AB installer will put all its files on the USB stick. Im personally using EXT2 on my stick but EXT2 or EXT4 will work.

Thanks, what size of USB stick do you suggest? I may have some old 256mb around, will that be enough?

Hello.

When I try to access the site olx.com or olx.pt ab-solution blocks the access maybe because I am using the shooter40sw list, but I have already added these domains and also the olx-st.com that appeared in the ab-Solution to the whitelist but the sites still do not work.

Some help?

Thanks, what size of USB stick do you suggest? I may have some old 256mb around, will that be enough?
Its enough for a basic install...but AB makes backups as it updates, so you need to take that into account. Log files also take up a bit of room ( my log files regularly grow to 30Mb or more) In addition, to get the best out of AB you should run it in conjunction with pixelserv, which will in turn mean that the installer will need enough space to create an entware installation. I would recommend a 2Gb stick or larger. Maybe @thelonelycoder would have a better idea as he has multiple routers running AB at any particular moment in time. I personally have an 8Gb stick formatted into two 4Gb partitions with AB on one and entware on the other.

Hello.

When I try to access the site olx.com or olx.pt ab-solution blocks the access maybe because I am using the shooter40sw list, but I have already added these domains and also the olx-st.com that appeared in the ab-Solution to the whitelist but the sites still do not work.

Some help?
you need to use the "follow the log file" function to see the domains that are being blocked. It may not be enough to whitelist olx.com , you may have to white list a sub domain something.olx.com
Code:
Jan 27 00:50:45 dnsmasq[2012]: query[A] olx.com from 192.168.2.60
Jan 27 00:50:45 dnsmasq[2012]: forwarded olx.com to 10.0.0.1
Jan 27 00:50:46 dnsmasq[2012]: reply olx.com is 204.74.99.100

shooter40sw list olx.com not blocked for me

Last edited:
Its enough for a basic install...but AB makes backups as it updates, so you need to take that into account. Log files also take up a bit of room ( my log files regularly grow to 30Mb or more) In addition, to get the best out of AB you should run it in conjunction with pixelserv, which will in turn mean that the installer will need enough space to create an entware installation. I would recommend a 2Gb stick or larger. Maybe @thelonelycoder would have a better idea as he has multiple routers running AB at any particular moment in time. I personally have an 8Gb stick formatted into two 4Gb partitions with AB on one and entware on the other.

Thanks, I found an old 1GB micro sd card I no longer use, formatted it ext2, put it in a SD reader and plug it into the ea6900 usb 2.0. Just installed ab solution 3, seems working. Will need to read this thread before I proceed to other things. Thanks again for your assistance.

you need to use the "follow the log file" function to see the domains that are being blocked. It may not be enough to whitelist olx.com , you may have to white list a sub domain something.olx.com
Code:
Jan 27 00:50:45 dnsmasq[2012]: query[A] olx.com from 192.168.2.60
Jan 27 00:50:45 dnsmasq[2012]: forwarded olx.com to 10.0.0.1
Jan 27 00:50:46 dnsmasq[2012]: reply olx.com is 204.74.99.100

shooter40sw list olx.com not blocked for me

I have already followed the log and added olx.pt, olx.com and olx-st.com but even so do not let me access the site.

But with me using the shooter40sw list blocks! If I disable ab-solution, it works!

Strange for you @tomsk to work!

If i filtered by term, the result is:

Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[26725]: forwarded www.olx.pt to 127.0.0.1
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[26725]: reply www.olx.pt is <CNAME>
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: query[A] www.olx.pt from 192.168.1.85
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: forwarded www.olx.pt to 127.0.0.1
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: validation www.olx.pt is ABANDONED
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: reply www.olx.pt is <CNAME>

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.