What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, it's been problematic for years, and I've been unable to determine the cause. Pages will stall or fail to finish loading from time to time, especially on first access - once pages are cached, the issue seems to become less frequent (probably because fewer files are transferred from the webserver then).

That's a bummer, hopefully its something Asus identify in .382 or are aware of in general.

That's a bummer, hopefully its something Asus identify in .382 or are aware of in general.

The issue still exists in 382_15098. Asus has never spent much time on the httpd SSL code, in fact most of the SSL improvements over the years (like support for EC ciphers) came from me.

My gut feeling tells me it's a problem caused by the webui relying on synchronous XML requests and the httpd being single-threaded. But I have been unable to confirm or deny this theory. That might explain why it mostly happens on certain pages, but not why it only affects HTTPS, and is more visible on Chrome than other browsers.

Need some info to help debug a problem on my fork. Can someone with a Japan AC68U append the output from

nvram show | grep -E "ccode|regrev"
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep -E "ccode|regrev|bl_"

Last edited:
@RMerlin are there any known issues with Asus's HTTPS implementation for the WebUI. For the longest time I've always had trouble loading the WebUI randomly, elements would go missing, excessive page load times etc. I finally today after messing with the Astrill VPN plugin narrowed it down to HTTPS UI access.

I mentioned it a few months ago but it still seems to be an issue to this day. I can confirm this happens on all browsers but not when using HTTP.
I wanted to mention this few days ago. With Ac87U the Web UI was very fast with HTTP, but very slow with HTTPS protocol. It is really bad in Chrome, I would always hit refresh otherwise the Web UI section I clicked on would never load. Edge browser was a bit better.

After I upgraded from AC87U to AC88U I experienced the exactly same behaviour, the second I turned on HTTPS for the Web UI it started being very slow (the Web UI navigation).

I don't know why but after I added the router certificate to my trusted root certification authority the Web UI was working exactly the same fast as with HTTP protocol. Here is the tutorial how to add a certificate as an exception in Chrome: https://superuser.com/a/632060/172416

Can't speak for Chrome but in FF I see no difference in speed between http or https.

RT-AC68U here. How's WiFi performance and stability on 380.68 vs John's LTS 374.43 ? Using it in AP mode so I don't need any fancy features, just best & stable WiFi. Past couple of releases I've had a hard time with 2.4Ghz WiFi, e.g. T-Mobile WiFi Calling is just atrocious and it used to work well. Sometimes even streaming music stops.
Not sure whether it's worth resetting to factory defaults on 380.68 and starting fresh or just downgrade to 374.43.
Thanks for any feedback.

IMG_1113.PNG
I think transmission & reception are flipped flopped on the traffic monitor.
Rt-ac87
I believe:
Reception should be incoming internet packets
Transmission should be outgoing internet packets

Upgraded my AC-3100 from 380.66_4 to 380.68 last night. I feel like the whole wireless network is much more stable. CPU temperature is low as well (60 oC, dropped from 7x oC iirc). Thank Merlin for the hard work!

Hi

I just upgraded my RT-AC68 to 380.68 and my WiFi stopped working.
My devices could connect to the wireless network, but there was no internet connection.
However, wired devices (like my VoIP phone) still worked.

I downgraded back to 380.67 and things are working again.

Any ideas?

I don't know why but after I added the router certificate to my trusted root certification authority the Web UI was working exactly the same fast as with HTTP protocol. Here is the tutorial how to add a certificate as an exception in Chrome: https://superuser.com/a/632060/172416

Not sure if its a placebo effect, but this seems to have helped slightly. There's still some issues with values not showing etc, but definitely not as bad as before.

Not sure if its a placebo effect, but this seems to have helped slightly. There's still some issues with values not showing etc, but definitely not as bad as before.
In my case it is not a placebo effect.
I was using Chrome, when I turn on https for the Web UI navigation is very slow and sometimes the site won't load (must hit F5 to refresh).

Adding the certificate to the trusted list makes everything fast again.

RT-AC68U here. How's WiFi performance and stability on 380.68 vs John's LTS 374.43 ? Using it in AP mode so I don't need any fancy features, just best & stable WiFi. Past couple of releases I've had a hard time with 2.4Ghz WiFi, e.g. T-Mobile WiFi Calling is just atrocious and it used to work well. Sometimes even streaming music stops.
Not sure whether it's worth resetting to factory defaults on 380.68 and starting fresh or just downgrade to 374.43.
Thanks for any feedback.

I have LTS 374.43 v27E5 on three AC-RT68U. Each has about 25 devices on them, 40GB data used per day, no problem so far.
Things are also very smooth on my AC3100 on Merlin 380.68 which has more than 35 devices, 50GB used/day. I factory-resetted them all before and after flashing new firmware then used John's NVRAM utility to restore all settings
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r26-0.19521/

Tbh I think both current firmware versions are really great and you would be happy with either one.

View attachment 10371
I think transmission & reception are flipped flopped on the traffic monitor.
Rt-ac87
I believe:
Reception should be incoming internet packets
Transmission should be outgoing internet packets
You have IPV6 enabled. It will show reversed traffic. Known issue. Fix is to use just IPV4 or live with it!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

How often does aiprotection check for update?
Today, I updated it to 1.180 manually.
Recently I feel it doesn't update immediatly.

How often does aiprotection check for update?
Today, I updated it to 1.180 manually.
Recently I feel it doesn't update immediatly.
I have never (knowingly) updated it, and I don't see any way of updating. How did you do it?

Last edited:
This is normal. That information cannot be retrieved from the Realtek switch, which is what it says that.

I've just upgraded to 380.68 and having a similar, but worse issue. I've cleared browser cache etc.
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.09.17.png

Some of the RTK ports are actually up at 1000mbps per robocfg (and reality!)...
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.08.27.png

Not sure where Port 6 is!? And Port-0 really is a 10HD connection.

Also, the info on the Network Map page is equally incorrect...
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.13.53.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.14.00.png

I'm assuming the robocfg VLAN info on the RTK ports is bogus and can't be trusted hence not displaying it in the GUI?

Is it required ? ,I never had it set before .
Thank you
It shouldn't be required but if there's another device on the network that is acting as the master browser but keeps going offline (maybe a NAS going into power save) that might cause the issue you're seeing.

As @AndreiV said, the simplest thing is to make the router the master browser because it is always online. But if you do have a NAS make sure it isn't also configured as a master browser because the two devices will just end up fighting each other.

I'm assuming the robocfg VLAN info on the RTK ports is bogus and can't be trusted hence not displaying it in the GUI?
Yes, as previously explained robocfg is a Broadcom utility, it can't display any information from the RTK ports.
Also, some of the "ports" reported by robocfg are not physical sockets but logical interconnects within the router.

Yes, as previously explained robocfg is a Broadcom utility, it can't display any information from the RTK ports.
Also, some of the "ports" reported by robocfg are not physical sockets but logical interconnects within the router.

I thought as much. Still the GUI is not reporting my ports correctly either way.

Is there a reliable cmd you can run to get the port status?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!