What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

idk what happend but smb speed got from 30~mb/sec to 11mb/sec. I restartet smb and the router.. nothing changed.

smb.cfg
Code:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = Routinka
server string = Routinka
unix charset = UTF8
display charset = UTF8
log file = /var/log.samba
log level = 0
max log size = 5
security = USER
guest ok = no
map to guest = Bad User
encrypt passwords = yes
pam password change = no
null passwords = yes
force directory mode = 0777
force create mode = 0777
max connections = 5
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
obey pam restrictions = no
disable spoolss = yes
host msdfs = no
strict allocate = No
wide links = no
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = lo br0 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
use sendfile = yes
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map read only = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = yes
dos filemode = yes
oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes
kernel oplocks = no
enable core files = no
deadtime = 30
load printers = no
printable = no
max protocol = NT1
smb encrypt = disabled
min receivefile size = 16384
passdb backend = smbpasswd
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
[Media (at WD)]
comment = WD's Media in WD My Passport 0830
path = /tmp/mnt/WD/Media
dos filetimes = yes
fake directory create times = yes
valid users = magenta
invalid users =
read list = magenta
write list = magenta
[skynet (at WD)]
comment = WD's skynet in WD My Passport 0830
path = /tmp/mnt/WD/skynet
dos filetimes = yes
valid users = magenta
invalid users = magenta
read list =
write list =
[entware (at WD)]
comment = WD's entware in WD My Passport 0830
path = /tmp/mnt/WD/entware
dos filetimes = yes
valid users = magenta
invalid users = magenta
read list =
write list =

edit: clean install fixed the issue

Last edited:
FYI signature 1.180 is fairly recently so your June date is not accurate. Mine used to show a stuck date also

I just today manually updated signature (using Check-button).

Signature Version got updated to 1.180, but the date didn't change at all. Now it says:

1.180 Updated : 2017/07/21 17:38
Signature update completely

It shouldn't be required but if there's another device on the network that is acting as the master browser but keeps going offline (maybe a NAS going into power save) that might cause the issue you're seeing.

As @AndreiV said, the simplest thing is to make the router the master browser because it is always online. But if you do have a NAS make sure it isn't also configured as a master browser because the two devices will just end up fighting each other.

OkeeDokee , I have a Synology NAS as well I will make the adjustments and see how it works out
Thank you Guys !

Question :
Does this apply even though I don't use the usb disk or media server part of the router
as they're disabled
that is where the force master browser switch is
Thank you

Last edited:
Does this apply even though I don't use the usb disk or media server part of the router as they're disabled
When you said "I'm using 380.68 and I keep losing my network shares about twice a day in my PC(windows 10 ent)" we assumed that you were talking about shares on the router :rolleyes:. From what I understand, if you enable "Force as Master Browser" it will still do so even if you haven't enabled any shares.

However, if you've been talking about shares on your NAS then that suggests it's a problem with the NAS rather than the router (if it's effecting all PCs on your network). So you might need to fix the problem with the NAS rather than using a "workaround" on the router.

When you said "I'm using 380.68 and I keep losing my network shares about twice a day in my PC(windows 10 ent)" we assumed that you were talking about shares on the router :rolleyes:. From what I understand, if you enable "Force as Master Browser" it will still do so even if you haven't enabled any shares.

However, if you've been talking about shares on your NAS then that suggests it's a problem with the NAS rather than the router (if it's effecting all PCs on your network). So you might need to fix the problem with the NAS rather than using a "workaround" on the router.

I'm losing the shares on my network
my nas doesn't seem to have a master browser setting ,but like I said , If I powercycle the router it all comes back as soon as it finishes booting
I don't even have to reboot my PC,just refresh the network tab
It's been ok for the last 2 days though,even though the master browser is not enabled
Thank you

my nas doesn't seem to have a master browser setting
Check Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB/AFP/NFS -> SMB -> Advanced Settings -> Enable Local Master Browser.
But you will have to enable guest account without password. I am not sure if that makes your NAS more vulnerable even if you deny every access from guest account.

I just today manually updated signature (using Check-button).

Signature Version got updated to 1.180, but the date didn't change at all. Now it says:

1.180 Updated : 2017/07/21 17:38
Signature update completely
Ah, now you have the same problem as mine. Your signature is not updating automatically. The stuck date is a known problem but Merlin can't fix it as it is part of Trend Micro's close source. Recently, I cleared my NVRAM which in turn makes the signature not show the signature update dates anymore. Either ASUS removed the time stamping of update or Merlin did. I remember before when the router checks the signature automatically, it creates a log like this
Code:
rc_service: httpd 473:notify_rc start_sig_check
I only see this log when I manually check. So it appears the auto check mechanics is not working anymore.

Last edited:
.... Recently, I cleared my NVRAM which in turn makes the signature not show the signature update dates anymore.....

That could well be right: I restored the router (RT-AC68U) to factory default settings after flashing 380.68, and I don't see a date. Frankly, I don't want want to see a date: it's just nice to see it's all being kept up to date.

FYI signature 1.180 is fairly recently so your June date is not accurate. Mine used to show a stuck date also but after I reset the nvram at firmware .67 the updated date does not show anymore. At least it auto updates for you mine doesn't. Maybe, the auto update is triggered by one of the AiProtection options, I only have malicious site blocking enabled in there.

Is Restore to Factory Default using the button the same as clearing NVRAM or do you reset NVRAM a different way?

Is Restore to Factory Default using the button the same as clearing NVRAM or do you reset NVRAM a different way?
All the options in the link Colin Taylor posted has the same purpose, reset to factory settings. However, sometimes the effect is different.:eek: Personally I use "nvram erase" through ssh/telnet when I want to reset the nvram.

I assumed Traffic Monitoring could be used to log all in- and outgoing traffic, but from what I understand now, it's only about tracking bandwidth usage per client if selected. Is there any way to log all in and outgoing traffic, with host names (or even urls, if possible), source and destination IP, port and protocol?

Looking for an option besides the possibilities offered on the Firewall tab, as there's no option to store it on a custom location. I'd prefer something that can generate daily report, per local IP, if that's even possible? Maybe a package in Entware-ng that offers something similar?

Web History is a good start but it's somewhat limited and it doesn't goes as far back as I'd like too. And it can't generate reports. Is there a relatively simple way to accumulate that data on an external drive, generate reports and send it every at midnight for example?

Last edited by a moderator:
With this release, my first CPU maxes out at 100% whenever I do a speed test and I can't max out my new 1GBps WAN line. WiFi also cannot even reach 200MBps (when I had my 200MBps WAN) and hovers around 100MBps now.

Check Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB/AFP/NFS -> SMB -> Advanced Settings -> Enable Local Master Browser.
But you will have to enable guest account without password. I am not sure if that makes your NAS more vulnerable even if you deny every access from guest account.

Thank you,
I will check out and apply this
although it's been fine for the last few days ,which makes it a bit confusing

With this release, my first CPU maxes out at 100% whenever I do a speed test and I can't max out my new 1GBps WAN line. WiFi also cannot even reach 200MBps (when I had my 200MBps WAN) and hovers around 100MBps now.

No issue here , I don't see anyone else with a problem like that.
Try a factory default reset and see what happens then.

Thanks for providing absolutely no information on your router model, client devices, Wi-Fi bands/channels or whether this had previously worked with your 1Gbps line.:rolleyes:

Yesterday my router AC88 lost connection to the vpn server.
I could just log-in to my router and acces the vpn client page, it says ..connecting.. but never connect.

Further acces to the router was impossible (wifi,firewall,admin etc.).
So a cold reboot eq. disconnect power was needed, thereafter the router responds normally.

But the vpn connection was still lost.
Router Log;
Sep 9 21:07:02 openvpn[7091]: TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Sep 9 21:07:02 openvpn[7091]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

And repeated all over.

Everything in the vpn-client page was just fine, but still ..connecting..

So I came up with the thought wat if the server didn’t respond?
I take a look at the vpn site and my sever (name) was removed from the list yesterday afternoon.

I decide to replace it with a ‘live’ server and at that point, my vpn connection was restored!

My question is why did the openvpn log mentioned that it could not resolve the TLS thing,
instead of the sever not responding?

My question is why did the openvpn log mentioned that it could not resolve the TLS thing,
instead of the sever not responding?

Because that's the first thing OpenVPN does - trying to establish a TLS connection. If you notice the error message, it does tell you that there seems to be an issue connecting to the server:

Sep 9 21:07:02 openvpn[7091]: TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!