What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The router doesn't include Python.

I just came across this thing:
https://github.com/securingsam/krackdetector
I know absolutely nothing about it other than what it says on that page. But assuming it works the way it say it does, and since it is just a python script, would it be possible to include it in an upcoming build, maybe with a checkbox to enable/disable it?

It just seems as though if it works as claimed. this would be a way to protect again Krack attacks without having to worry so much about clients that cannot be patched. Those that know Python (I don't), please feel free to comment on whether this could actually work.

Assuming entware includes a python package you could install this yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming entware includes a python package you could install this yourself.

Maybe some people in this forum have enough knowledge to do that, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how. I don't even know what you mean by entware.

Maybe some people in this forum have enough knowledge to do that, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how. I don't even know what you mean by entware.

I realise it’s an advanced option but it is an option none the less.
I’ll only suggest options for beginners from now on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, I don’t think our ASUS router use the hostapd package required by this script.

Broadcom models don't. They use Broadcom's proprietary nas daemon.

in next few days i gona update to 380.68. current 380.67 i using is still getting the random wifi completely drops, and i have cycle the wifi with WPS switch that turns on and off to get wifi back up , its like the whole wifi stops transmitting no ssid is even found by any device when this happens. not say this fw issue just say i didnt start noticed this till the 380.67 build. then again been spend alot more time on ps4 that is connected to the wifi maybe it always did and i never noticed it

I original thought this had to do dhcp issue so i set lease for 7 day cycle like reboot cycle, but it happen again 15 hours after my weekly reboot. maybe my router is slowly dying it is kinda extra warm to touch but always has been. 2.4gh is 51c and 5ghz is 61c like always has been.

I am having the exact same issue. The router stops broadcasting the SSID and all my clients disconnect. When i power cycle the router everything comes back online for another day or so. Had this issue for the last few revisions i am on 380.68_4 now with a RT-AC3200

I upgraded from an older 380.66 version to the latest 380.68_4 on a AC68U running in repeater mode.
I noticed following bugs/remarks:

1. webinterface in repeater mode is missing link to traffic info (bandwidth speed, apps usage, QOS, ...). The only link I could press was the green icon above right that brings me to QOS.
In my config QOS was activated. When I change a QOS setting and press apply the popup increases to 100% but stays on screen. On that point the web GUI hangs completely. (see file attachment: "Complete" screen)
Running another web login isn't working. Only solution is pull the power and restart router.
2. I disabled QOS now completely : the green icon above right is gone, but now I can't access any QOS or traffic setting anymore. Is QOS and traffic logging/setting not supported anymore in repeater mode ?
Just restore my NVRAM again so I have the QOS icon above right.

On old firmware it was there : QOS working, speed monitor trend working, apps usage not working, ....
3. Download speed on (internet) looks the same, upload seems slower (3 mbit instead of 6) ?

I upgraded my old config without factory reset.
I did a hardware factory reset after upgrade and restored NVRAM setting through the know script.
It looks like old firmware was better, it had more options (traffic logging, speed, ...)

In the previous version i see a FIXED note for certain model is repeater mode where menu's were missing, maybe it's the same bug ?

QOS settings and traffic/speed/apps/web url monitoring are completely gone now.

Attachments

• snap416.png
    snap416.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 480
  • snap417.png
    snap417.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
There's no way QoS was working in repeater mode since that mode doesn't do any routing. That's why there's no option for QoS or bandwidth monitoring while in repeater mode, these options are only available in router mode, when there's a WAN interface.

im getting this with the latest source both ac66u and ac88u
last build before this was about 2 weeks ago and was fine
is it my end?

Code:
   lanauth   
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/lanauth'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/lanauth'
make -C wget CFLAGS="-Os -Wall -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -funit-at-a-time -Wno-pointer-sign -mtune=mips32r2 -mips32r2 -DRTCONFIG_NVRAM_64K  -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132630  -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -I/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/router/openssl/include -I/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/router/zlib"
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/wget'
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/bash /home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/wget/build-aux/missing --run aclocal-1.11 -I m4
configure.ac:499: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GPGME' not found in library
missing file lib/flock.c
configure.ac:269: error: expected source file, required through AC_LIBSOURCES, not found
m4/gnulib-comp.m4:316: gl_INIT is expanded from...
configure.ac:269: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal-1.11: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
make[4]: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/wget'
make[3]: *** [wget] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x'
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shonk/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x'
make: *** [rt-ac66u] Error 2

Looking for some help with a obscure issue.

Seeing this in AB -Solution, using the "follow log file" function, I keep seeing this IPv6 query [AAAA], any idea?
Code:
Nov 18 10:09:58 dnsmasq[32394]: query[AAAA] www.google.com from 192.168.1.5
Nov 18 10:09:58 dnsmasq[32394]: cached www.google.com is 2607:f8b0:4005:807::2004
I have IPv6 disabled in the router (AC68U with 380.68_4). 192.168.1.5 is my ethernet connected linux laptop. I have disabled IPv6 in the laptop using both sysctl and grub, and verified no IPv6 address in the laptop via ifconfig. I've been trying to find why for a long time with no luck.

Is it a dns leak since I have a VPN tunnel for all clients, and using dnscrypt as well? All diagnostic sites I have tried show no dns leaks. I just don't see why OPv6 queries are there.

Thank you.

@Butterfly Bones You don't need to have IPv6 enabled anywhere for an application to do an nslookup of a AAAA record. Notice how the request is coming from an IPv4 address ;).

I would look at your applications rather than the OS. Chrome?
Yes, using Chrome. Thank you for the suggestion, that certainly makes sense. I'll close everything down and test with only the terminal running AB-Solution and see what shows.

Asus hasn't released the source code yet, so there's nothing I can do.

Note that all these CVEs are already fixed in 380.68_4, and the KRACK fix is only needed if your router is running in Repeater or Media Bridge mode.
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your work, it is awesome!

I don't know if it is the best topic to ask this, but, do you know if we can see any possible Merlin 380.69 build on RT-AC66U with the last GPL 380.8120?

The source code has been released: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/GPL_RT_AC66U_30043808120.zip

Best regards :)

I haven't decided yet if I'll merge 8120, or just the important changes. It will depend if that GPL code is compatible with all the other models. If Asus made any changes to the closed source pieces of httpd/rc/shared, then I won't be able to.

Can't put my finger on it yet, but something squirelly is going on with 2.4G on my AC68. Running Merlin 380.68_4.

Not sure if its dropping out, losing connection, affected by too many clients for the current build or what....

Seems to be only since 380.68ish...

I may revert back and see if I notice any differences/kids-clients complaining...

This is something new (at least I can not remember seeing it before, I check the syslog daily, since I'm running some beta add-ons).
Code:
Nov 25 23:01:03 kernel: usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Nov 26 02:01:01 kernel: usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
I mention this because I get USB errors after a couple reboots and have to run fsck to repair them. USB drives are SanDisk CruzerFit 16GB formatted ext2, with AB-Solution, Skynet, and DNSCrypt on one. The second is only for NVRam Save / Restore utility.
I've posted about the errors in a couple other USB related threads. I went through a month this summer with daily power outages due to construction in the complex where I live. Whether I reboot the router in the GUI, via terminal SSH connection, or hard reset, I see the errors every two or three reboots.

Yesterday I did a hard reset, pulled the USB drives and ran fsck while the router was off (both had wrong inode errors), install the USB drives and turned on the router. This morning I see the above entries.

To be clear, I am not blaming this on Merlin firmware (RT-68U w/ 380.68_4) I'm just curious and trying to make certain that I do not have other issues with any installations of add-ons, since winter is coming and power outages will happen. I know there are many more experiences network and code pros here, I'm relatively new to custom router firmware and add-on utilities.

Thank you

AC88U (380.68_4). After reboot by scheduler (on Mondays) wireless scheduler doesn't work on time. After manual reboot wireless scheduler works fine. Why does this happen?

No, that message has always been there.
Ok, thank you. I just have never seen it before in running Merlin firmware for months. I make a habit of reading the syslog carefully each morning with my first cuppa coffee to check on my utilities functioning and VPN connectivity issues, if any.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!