What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that should work. My stubby.yml has the 127.0.0.1@53 entry too.

Following is what I was using for the stubby installer asuswrt-merlin script:
Yes, I wondered. But the native stubby at FW Merlin has only marked the IPV4 range. By default, IPV6 is disabled. But in my scenario, i enable IPV6. In my view, IPV6 queries are not being carried by Stubby.

It doesn't matter, it's just the interface used internally between dnsmasq and stubby. You can still resolve IPv6 address regardless of the interface used, and this is 100% transparent to the LAN.

and this is 100% transparent to the LAN.
Ok. On commit
rc: change default behaviour of resolv.conf to use ISP instead of loc…

…al cache

With the increased complexity involving DNS Privacy, ntpd and WAN monitoring,
it's safer (and more reliable) to have the router always use the ISP resolvers
by default.
I always used local cache for better performance. But here recommends not to use it. Sorry for my misinformation

Yesterday I decided to turn-off DNS over TLS for whatever reason but continue using Cloudflare as my DNS. Oddly the RT-68u would not cooperate. It kept reverting to the ISP dns even though Connect to DNS server automatically is set to NO and the Cloudflare IP address is visible in the server 1 and 2 boxes. Has anyone else had such an issue?

I never had this hiccup in earlier versions of 384. This is the first time I tried to turn off DNS over TLS since updating to 384.13. Rebooting had no effect.. however I could reenable DNS over TLS with no problem and cloudflare servers. So I will leave it this way while I mull over the next move.

Hi there,

I haven't seen any postings on the "dcd Tainted: P" issue with the 384.13 release. I've been running this firmware and seeing the issue reappear. Any ideas. I'm running a RT-AC86U in mesh mode with a RT-AC66B1 node. Other than this the router seems to running without any issue.

upload_2019-9-14_7-12-43.png

Hi there,

I haven't seen any postings on the "dcd Tainted: P" issue with the 384.13 release. I've been running this firmware and seeing the issue reappear. Any ideas. I'm running a RT-AC86U in mesh mode with a RT-AC66B1 node. Other than this the router seems to running without any issue.

View attachment 19319
That because they aren't firmware specific and have been asked about numerous times. Search for dcd Tainted and you can see the different threads on them.

Hi there,

View attachment 19319
Pixelserv-tls (which comes with Diversion Standard edition) causes this issue

That because they aren't firmware specific and have been asked about numerous times. Search for dcd Tainted and you can see the different threads on them.

Thanks - I did a search before posting and this error is related to an issue with Asus firmware and AI Protection. It was addressed in Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717. However, now that Merlin supports mesh, I switched over and started to see these again and was asking the question.

How do I enable DNS over TLS im using cloudflare 1.1.1.1. Is there any drawbacks to using this feature. Just installed 384.13 on my 3100. Thanks Jim !!

Also what are these in the log don't recall seeing this on stock code.

EDIT: OK I see these are devices connecting and disconnecting even though I have dhcp hand out notices turned off.

Sep 14 15:44:01 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc D8:xxxxxxx
Sep 14 15:58:35 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc D8:xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I enable DNS over TLS im using cloudflare 1.1.1.1.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/DNS-Privacy

Also what are these in the log don't recall seeing this on stock code.

EDIT: OK I see these are devices connecting and disconnecting even though I have dhcp hand out notices turned off.

Sep 14 15:44:01 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc D8:xxxxxxx
Sep 14 15:58:35 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc D8:xxxxxxxxx

wlceventd is unrelated to DHCP. It's a daemon Asuswrt runs to detect wireless client connecting/disconnecting. There's a bug in the closed source code that has debugging output getting logged even if debugging is disabled (it doesn't properly check the debug flag state).

Thanks for the reply Eric. And Thank You for your continued work on your code. Much appreciated. :)

EDIT: Ok so the correct way is to enter nothing on the wan dns server page. Then setup DNS-TLS and choose the proper server there. Got it. And the router shows my ISP dns servers and says over written. I hope this is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does DNS/DNSSEC work with a VPN? I've got the router connecting to ExpressVPN using their ovpn file and my account user and pass. Does this still let clients and the router itself use the defined DNS in WAN and LAN(I'm not using DNSSEC but want to based on this answer) or does it use some vpn provided value?

Try changing the WiFi channel.

Thanks for the suggestion. The 2.4ghz SSID popped up and I managed to connect to it. But the signal is very weak and I'm sitting next to the router. The Kindle would also lose the wifi connection completely. And subsequent attempts, I don't see the SSID and can't connect.

EDIT: I just tested my PS4 and the 2.4ghz connection isn't working either! It won't see the SSID too.

But my Macbook Pro sees it and the connection is VERY SLOW.

Edit: I tested 343.12 and don't see any difference. My Macbook Pro sees the 2.4ghz SSID and sees full bars. But my PS4 and Kindle Voyage doesn't see the SSID at all.

How else should I troubleshoot??

Edit: Just tried 343.11_2, same problem. This is really weird and worrying, I swear everything was fine and running when I got the router and flashed Merlin.

Last edited:
Hi.

I am having very high CPU loads on my new AC86U with 386.13. In tools it shows 4.12, 3.85 and 3.55 (constant over 3.5 all the time in all time intervals...). If I run htop in putty, it does not show anything so high...

Running diversion, amtm, skynet and transmission.

Thanks for your help guys...

Hi.

I am having very high CPU loads on my new AC86U with 386.13. In tools it shows 4.12, 3.85 and 3.55 (constant over 3.5 all the time in all time intervals...). If I run htop in putty, it does not show anything so high...

Running diversion, amtm, skynet and transmission.

Thanks for your help guys...

I don't see load that high with all the scripts i'm running. However the load is spread across 4 cores and not 2 so maybe slightly different.

Thanks for the suggestion. The 2.4ghz SSID popped up and I managed to connect to it. But the signal is very weak and I'm sitting next to the router. The Kindle would also lose the wifi connection completely. And subsequent attempts, I don't see the SSID and can't connect.

EDIT: I just tested my PS4 and the 2.4ghz connection isn't working either! It won't see the SSID too.

But my Macbook Pro sees it and the connection is VERY SLOW.

Edit: I tested 343.12 and don't see any difference. My Macbook Pro sees the 2.4ghz SSID and sees full bars. But my PS4 and Kindle Voyage doesn't see the SSID at all.

How else should I troubleshoot??

Edit: Just tried 343.11_2, same problem. This is really weird and worrying, I swear everything was fine and running when I got the router and flashed Merlin.
You must have a setting in the 2.4GHz control panel professional settings that is interfering with your devices. Check that you have universal beamforming, airtime fairness and Roaming assistant set to disable.

Reactions: ray
How does DNS/DNSSEC work with a VPN? I've got the router connecting to ExpressVPN using their ovpn file and my account user and pass. Does this still let clients and the router itself use the defined DNS in WAN and LAN(I'm not using DNSSEC but want to based on this answer) or does it use some vpn provided value?
Set VPN behavior in the OpenVPN client screen, Accept DNS Configuration setting.

Accept DNS Configuration Definitions
  • Disabled: DNS servers pushed by VPN provided DNS server are ignored. DNS specified on the WAN page are used.
  • Relaxed: DNS servers pushed by VPN provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used.
  • Strict: DNS servers pushed by the VPN provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order. Existing DNS servers are only used if VPN provided ones don’t respond. To specify a custom DNS, enter the line in the custom config section: dhcp-option DNS dns.server.ip.address (e.g. dhcp-option DNS 1.1.1.1)
  • Exclusive: Only the pushed VPN provided DNS servers are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!