What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What about it didn't work in bridge mode can you post more details.

Or do you mean the update failed on it?

The update did work, but the brige in 5GH did not
it connects to the main router.
I have returned to 384.5 and the brige works OK.

In summary:
384.6 router - 384.5, bridge works OK
384.6 router - 384.6, bridge DOES NOT WORK
They are two AC68U.

384.7 alpha 1 has been running fine for a day and all is solid. If you’re adventurous and have run alpha’s before, I believe it’s worth a try. Just back up your current 384.6 configuration. :)

Working ok for me, so far!

Hi, I was wondering if you did hard reset or thing just worked after the flush? Thanks.

All I did when flashing my AC-3200 was:
  1. Reboot my router 384.3 and wait for things to settle down for a minute with my current settings
  2. Install 384.6 firmware and it auto rebooted after the upgrade.

Hi, I have an Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.5 and I'm unable to update to 384.6. I've tried multiple times from different PCs and it shows that firmware is upgrading and it completes, but the firmware version doesn't change. Through the process, I never lost wifi, so I thought something wasn't working right. Normally, I lose wifi at some point during the upgrade. Also, it seems to have blown out my settings as well. I even did a factory reset and then tried to upgrade and it still didn't work. I've never had any issues upgrading before.

Any ideas?
Is it a real AC68u or was it the tmobile one?

I'm in the same situation - can't neither upgrade nor downgrade (I have converted tmobile one). Tried reset, tftp... looking further
You won't get support then, Eric already stated TM-AC1900 are not supported. You can only go back to current firmware for your T-Mobile ASUS device.

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Has anyone been able to configure their RT-AC5300 with Merlin 384.6 to work with NordVPN? If so, are you happy with the speeds you are getting? Would you be willing to share your configuration setup?

I am not getting the speeds I am looking for despite tweaking the settings multiple times.

Appreciate any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It mostly has to do with the CPU in the AC5300. After some fw upgrades, I suffered poor OpenVPN performance. A factory reset helped restore to normal speeds every time. Add the directive "fast-io" in the Custom Config section. The other item is the cipher. I recommend AES-128-GCM for the best performance. https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-performance/

Will give it a shot! Thanks a lot!

Mine still does the same thing as 384.5 unfortunately and has to be rebooted once a week to get transfer performance on wifi. I am using the smart connect rule that has an auto feature, so, can someone tell me if that feature is just plain broken and needs to be turned off?

I have an AC86U running the latest 384.6 firmware. I noticed that CPU Load Average under Tools seems to be quite high but when I observe it under Network Map for a few minutes, it is only about 5% at maximum most of the time.

1.png

for some reason on my AC3200 the samba shares are really slow after this update... factory reset done, attached two drives formatted to ext2.
how to debug this ? can someone ppoint me where to look why it is so slow ?

little problem with 384.7alpha1 (maybe previous versions will behave similary).
have a RT-AC68U in repeater mode (connected with main router on 5G). So far all ok.

If I change 2,4G SSID or PW on repeater it will do it, but than everything goes dark and router not responsible, like turned off.
Need to power off/on to have changes applied and then all working again with changed SSID.
Same if I change 5G SSID/PW.

Another opinion:
Why is wifi tab not visible in repeater mode?
So you can change SSID/PW on network map page and this will work, beside of locking router afterwards.
But no way to change Wifi-channel or bandwith or any other settings without WiFi tab in repeater mode.
Of course there is some fix setting for 5G where I am connected to main router, but other band should be changeable independently!

PS: Maybe that all is a problem of Asus-WRT and nothing to do with Merlin, but just tested this now with Merlin thats why I am posting here, sorry if wrong and a known issue.

Last edited:
Is this build available for the 87U? I just checked on the download site and there appears to be no update for this model.

I do not understand why people use Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is their router, if they will use it as AP or Media Bridge mode, I am 100% sure that the stock firmware will give better results.

I only use Asuswrt-Merlin firmware when I use router in Wireless router mode, because it's a million times better than Stock Firmware and in my other routers leave the Stock firmware because I use Repeater, AP (AiMesh) or Media Bridge mode.

I don't follow your logic, those like me using it in AP mode may decide to use it in router mode at some point. In terms of stock providing better results, show the data, otherwise your statement is false.

Is this build available for the 87U? I just checked on the download site and there appears to be no update for this model.
Read the first post!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!