What's new

RT 86U Modem Port Dead

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GregW

Occasional Visitor
My 3 month old 86U has an apparently dead modem Ethernet port.
The modem works fine with a spare AC 66.
I have obtained an RMA # from Asus.
My question is, will running the Merlin firmware adversely affect my warranty claim?

Thanks

My question is, will running the Merlin firmware adversely affect my warranty claim?

Thanks
No.

You should be fine with warranty.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ

Q: Will flashing this void my warranty?
A: This is a kinda grey area for which I have no definitive answer unfortunately. I have seen Asus publicly commit to supporting DD-WRT for some of their models, without any mention about it voiding your warranty. Therefore my personal opinion would be that "No, it won't void your warranty", but as the saying goes, IANAL. Your retailer might certainly have a different view on this than Asus would, too.

NOTE: CSR Sanita, after confirming w/ her supervisor, said on 2/24/2016 "We will repair the product free of cost under warranty if it does not have any physical damage. No, it won't void your warranty."

I sent the RT 86U back for warrant service.
Service was prompt, and much to my surprise, ASUS shipped me back a brand new unopened retail replacement.

Excellent customer service.

Thanks
you mean the wan port? :) sorry getting technical :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!