What's new

RT-AC5300 Bad firmware flash

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnClar

Regular Contributor
My RT-AC5300 had been working fine until last night. I checked the router GUI and it reported a new F/W: v.3.0.0.4.384.81930. So I updated, the update seemed to have gone OK. The router rebooted, I power cycled after the reboot, and when the router came back up, it now reboots every few minutes. In its current state, it's now totally unusable. I tried hard resetting and reflashing the earlier F/W v.3.0.0.4.384.81902. Still the same rebooting issue. I've hard reset, no luck. The router is out of warranty, so ASUS wants to charge me a diagnostic fee, and a repair fee. I don't think that's appropriate...especially if it was the F/W flash that trashed the router. I'm not paying ASUS for this, and I'll get rid of the router instead. But before I do, I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and/or had any ideas. BTW, the 3.0.0.4.384.81930 F/W did not show as available on the ASUS web site. It only showed up in the router GUI. So thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Last edited:
So this is interesting. I got the router into recovery mode OK, but the upload fails at 83%. So I read somewhere else on this forum about holding WPS, Reset, and then powering on. That seems to have worked, but I'm not sure why. Maybe that key sequence cleared NVRAM? Anyways, the router is up and running on my testbench...15 minutes, no reboots so far. I'm going to let it run overnight, and if it holds, I'll reinstall it. Still not sure what happened, but apparently something got stuck in NVRAM, and that key sequence may have cleared it. Thoughts?

Im having the same issue......did you have a usb drive connected......unplugging that seemed to help.....but agree this firmware is trash

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!