What's new

RT-AC68U doesn't remember admin password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swnny

New Around Here
RT-AC68U doesn't remember admin password

Factory reset after installing the latest merlin firmware (380.63_2). I open the GUI at 192.168.1.1 and I'm asked for the user/pw (admin/admin) and then prompted to change the password. The router simply won't remember my new password and goes in endless circles prompting to change the password.

Following this I installed an old version of merlin (early 2015) using the Asus restore tool and the router did indeed remember its password and all other settings.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Why does an old version remember the password? Has the space allocated in memory for the admin password been moved?

Thank you.

Try a different browser.

Thanks for the tip. It's working now on latest firmware (380.63_2).

The problem was my browsers (Chrome, FF, Edge) were set to send empty referer headers (for privacy). No problems saving admin password and other settings after enabling the referer. Firmware before Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.378.9135 (2015/09/30) worked with or without referer set.

Thanks for the tip. It's working now on latest firmware (380.63_2).

The problem was my browsers (Chrome, FF, Edge) were set to send empty referer headers (for privacy). No problems saving admin password and other settings after enabling the referer. Firmware before Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.378.9135 (2015/09/30) worked with or without referer set.

Those old firmwares relied on the insecure Basic authentication method. The router switched to a token-based scheme, to better protect against XSS attacks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!