What's new

RT-AC87U problem with Windows Phone and 5GHz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VANT

Very Senior Member
Hi.
I have problem with my Lumia 925 and 5GHz band. My phone can't connect when SSID is hide. When SSID is not hide then no problem.
I manually add SSID and wifi key but phone can't connect.

Hi.
I have problem with my Lumia 925 and 5GHz band. My phone can't connect when SSID is hide. When SSID is not hide then no problem.
I manually add SSID and wifi key but phone can't connect.

What version of the OS are you using on the Phone? I know in the past some versions of the Windows Phone OS had issues with hidden SSID's.

8.1 update 1 (8.10 14226.359), but as i write earlier on 2.4GHz no problems with hidden SSID

I must try

edit.

I test on RT-n66u and no problems on 5GHz with hidden SSID. Phone connect without problem, so problem is only on RT-AC87u....again.

Last edited:
Hmm...I just tested with my AC87 and both Windows Phone version 8.1 (8.10.14226.359) (Lumia 925) and Version 10 (Lumia 925, Microsoft 950XL) with my 5 GHz SSID hidden and they both conect. There are some wirless driver concerns with the 925 which act strange under Windows 10 Mobile but nothing that I can see with hidden networks.

You use Merlin FW 380.57 ? Maybe this FW have different drivers for 5GHz band ??? Now i use beta FW 9481.

Please if You can add printscreen form professional tab 5GHz band.

Last edited:
Now i use official 9460FW and still have problem with connect my lumia to hidden SSID for 5GHz band. My config is totally default.

Hiding SSID's is no security, one must recognize this, and it leads to problems like this...

I had this problem as well but with our iPhones on 5ghz. With a hidden SSID they would constantly loose connection after being idle or they would not pick up the wifi when returning home from being out.

Hiding SSID's is no security, one must recognize this, and it leads to problems like this...
You're kidding, right ? Using 5GHz is problematic, so we should use 2.4GHz, or cable ?

You're kidding, right ? Using 5GHz is problematic, so we should use 2.4GHz, or cable ?

No, simply unhide the ssid. ;)

this is workaround not fix ;)

In this case, the fix and the workaround are one and the same.

Because hidden ssid's were obsolete a decade ago from any security or other aspect. ;)

In this case, the fix and the workaround are one and the same.

Because hidden ssid's were obsolete a decade ago from any security or other aspect. ;)

Concur - hidden SSID's didn't help much in the first place, and contributed to client usability issues at the end of the day...

A few minutes with a tool like Kismet will discover the SSID, even when hidden...

ok, in this case Asus should remove this feature right ?

ok, in this case Asus should remove this feature right ?

No reason to. But as with most default settings, no reason to change it either. ;)

Dear L&LD i know that this feature (ssid hide) it has nothing to do with security, but this feature exist and i want use it.

Hiding your SSID is not a good idea. Many people think they are actually being more secure but in reality you are more vulnerable. I would suggest you show your SSID and you will not have any problems.
I have a lumina 920 8.1 win OS and it works fine with the 380.57 firmware and 5ghz antenna on the 87u
I did have issues in the past with 5 ghz but its all been fixed over time with better firmware versions and bug fixes
This is the best firmware to date.

Dear L&LD i know that this feature (ssid hide) it has nothing to do with security, but this feature exist and i want use it.

Then tell Microsoft to fix their client, if it's unable to connect to a hidden SSID. It's not the router's fault, since other clients are able to connect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!