1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

rt-ac88u 5ghz no led lit, no 5ghz mac address, china purchase

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by ronald francey, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ronald francey

ronald francey Occasional Visitor

new unit, no 5ghz band, no 5ghz mac address. unit purchased from gearbest in china.

attaching wifi 5ghz ssid professional screen shots and wondering if there are any settings i should try to enable the 5ghz band.

suggestions will be appreciated.

ron

5ghz professional 1.jpg 5ghz professional 2.jpg

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

Return it. Some what common on the rt-ac3100/88u/5300, Netgear r8500.

4. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Occasional Visitor

How many different threads do you have on this 88u that you are having issues with?

5. ronald francey

ronald francey Occasional Visitor

i wasn't trying to be offensive by posting another thread; i just didn't want to change the discussion on the other thread from the direction of the content. that is, i didn't want that content to get lost with other verbiage.

yes, most likely, my plan is to return the unit to gearbest in china. gearbest does not work on weekends so i thought i'd see if anybody had specific suggestions on ways to activate the 5ghz band given the specific values found on my wifi professional tab. so i included my two screenshots for the specifics of my case. i don't know if *china* generated values would be in conflict with values needed in the usa.

i have today and tomorrow before gearbest will respond to my submitted ticket.

now that i know my way around the gui a little better, i hoped to resolve the problem *if* it was fixable.

sorry if i offended you.

ron

6. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

you have set 5G radio to ON and region to US, nothing you could do more.

turn off radio, restart and turn on again and reboot again, maybe something internal blocked it.
    2. step change US to Asia or Australia and back US if it helps

go to first page and check 5G SSID hidden, disable it to be shown.

check 5G channel to be set to 36 or 149 and auto bandwith 20/40/80. reboot

reboot often because I had a router which did not apply any WiFi settings without reboot afterwards!!!
    Maybe yours got same fault.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!