What's new

RT-AC88U Admin Password bug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mteel2745

New Around Here
I have an AC88U from 2016. Still a great router. It is currently configured with the latest firmware which is Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_48260.

I try to change my admin password once or twice a year. But about 12-18 months ago, I hit a snag and it now thinks the existing password I input on the SYSTEM tab of Administration page is wrong. I know it to be correct because I used it to log in and edit the credentials. But after hundreds of tries, I still cannot change my password.

I tried backing up the System.CFG file, Restoring the router to factory fresh, then restoring the backup file again. All my settings came back including the Admin credentials. But the problem also returned where I cannot change the password.

I downloaded the WRT Settings executable from another thread on this forum and installed it. I then opened the CFG backup file, saved it back as a text file, and viewed it. I see several references (though somewhat cryptic) to the Admin credentials. Is there anyway to edit my password in this file, and then restore it to change the password?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forums @mteel2745.

When was the last time you fully reset the router, after flashing the latest firmware available, then minimally and manually securing the router and connecting to your ISP? (Without plugging in a USB drive that was used for amtm and/or other scripts).

Try logging into the router in incognito/inprivate mode and try your changes.

Curious if you are using Ports 5-8 on the router too?

If you are, then that may be possibly causing the issues too.

Welcome to the forums @mteel2745.

When was the last time you fully reset the router, after flashing the latest firmware available, then minimally and manually securing the router and connecting to your ISP? (Without plugging in a USB drive that was used for amtm and/or other scripts).

Try logging into the router in incognito/inprivate mode and try your changes.

Curious if you are using Ports 5-8 on the router too?

If you are, then that may be possibly causing the issues too.

If by "fully resetting" you mean restoring the system to factory default, I just did that this week. I first backed up the CFG file because I have a somewhat complex network with port forwarding, a wireless bridge, several static IP addresses, etc. After backing it up I did a System Restore to factory default. That worked to clear the memory completely, but of course to log back in I then restored the CFG file. As expected it restored the admin password which is where the problem is, and when trying to reset it I get the same result.

Thus my question, can I edit the config file using the WRT Settings executable to change the password and then restore the edited file back to the router? Alternatively can I upload a different version of firmware that does not have this issue?

I use all 8 ports of the AC88U for various hardware to switches, a wireless bridge, a net-facing server, etc. It would not be optimal to have to eliminate ports 5-8, and this should have nothing to do with changing the admin password in my mind. If that IS the case, I will trash this router and buy a Cisco. Can you suggest the best 8-port, POE, wireless router for SOHO?

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Thus my question, can I edit the config file using the WRT Settings executable to change the password and then restore the edited file back to the router?
At this point you might as well try it and see if it works. Make sure you've retained your previous CFG file so if it messes things up you can just restore back to where you were before.

If by "fully resetting" you mean restoring the system to factory default, I just did that this week. I first backed up the CFG file because I have a somewhat complex network with port forwarding, a wireless bridge, several static IP addresses, etc. After backing it up I did a System Restore to factory default. That worked to clear the memory completely, but of course to log back in I then restored the CFG file. As expected it restored the admin password which is where the problem is, and when trying to reset it I get the same result.

Thus my question, can I edit the config file using the WRT Settings executable to change the password and then restore the edited file back to the router? Alternatively can I upload a different version of firmware that does not have this issue?

I use all 8 ports of the AC88U for various hardware to switches, a wireless bridge, a net-facing server, etc. It would not be optimal to have to eliminate ports 5-8, and this should have nothing to do with changing the admin password in my mind. If that IS the case, I will trash this router and buy a Cisco. Can you suggest the best 8-port, POE, wireless router for SOHO?

Thanks for your reply.

By using the saved backup config file to restore the settings, you effectively undid any benefit the resetting to factory defaults may have provided.

I agree, it should have nothing to do with the 8-Port switch that is not optimally configured in all Asus 8-port routers. And yet, here we are.

I suggested that you at least try/test the recommendations I've made, if they solve the issue, how you proceed afterward is up to you. They have worked for others. Hopefully, they will also work for you too.

(That is the problem with the bridged 2x 5-Port switches in Asus' 8-Port routers; when they start to malfunction, the randomness of the issues exhibited makes it seem like something else, yet you can search for members who solved their RT-AC88U issues by simply not using ports 5-8 too).

By using the saved backup config file to restore the settings, you effectively undid any benefit the resetting to factory defaults may have provided.

I agree, it should have nothing to do with the 8-Port switch that is not optimally configured in all Asus 8-port routers. And yet, here we are.

I suggested that you at least try/test the recommendations I've made, if they solve the issue, how you proceed afterward is up to you. They have worked for others. Hopefully, they will also work for you too.

(That is the problem with the bridged 2x 5-Port switches in Asus' 8-Port routers; when they start to malfunction, the randomness of the issues exhibited makes it seem like something else, yet you can search for members who solved their RT-AC88U issues by simply not using ports 5-8 too).

If discontinuing use of half the ports is the fix then the router likely goes in the trash and I find something Non-Asus.. I have every port utilized.

I'm not sure how to log in using "incognito" mode.

I will try resetting to factory default again and then starting all over with setup when no one is using the network, which is not often. And I will try resetting password before I make any config customizations. As I mentioned, my CFG file is not a simple one due to network complexities. I will have to rebuild all of that from scratch if I reset and don't import my backup.

I think what I have learned is the RT-AC88U should never have been an 8-port router in the first place and that is what I need, or I need to add two switches to my topology.

Thanks for your support.

This supposed 8-port bridged problem is nonsense. It probably stems from one old Asus model that had reliability problems.

And before anyone says "but xxx had a problem with his router" - hardware failures happen with all components. It doesn't mean there's a systemic problem with all routers. People's WAN ports have died. That's doesn't mean all Asus routers have faulty WAN ports. People's radios have died. That doesn't mean all Asus routers have faulty radios.

All Asus routers have bridged interfaces. The WiFi radios are bridged to the switch. No one has said "you mustn't use WiFi on any Asus router because they're bridged". No one has said "you can't use the 2.5Gb port on your RT-AX86U because it's bridged". etc, etc, etc.

@ColinTaylor, I'm not saying this is the problem. I really don't know. And I really don't care.

All I'm saying is that similar random issues with Asus' 8-Port routers have been 'fixed' by simply not using ports 5-8. I'm sure you've read some of those posts yourself.

@mteel2745, if you're willing to throw out a router instead of spending $20 (if, after testing, that proves to fix your issues) for an 8-Port switch, that is your choice. It doesn't make much sense to me though. Good luck.

All I'm saying is that similar random issues with Asus' 8-Port routers have been 'fixed' by simply not using ports 5-8. I'm sure you've read some of those posts yourself.
Just because a few people have experienced problems doesn't mean it's a systemic issue for all users across all models as you keep saying. If it were then the forums would be flooded with such reports. "Not using ports 5-8" is not diagnosing the cause of the problem, it's ignoring it. Maybe a factory reset or firmware update would equally have fixed their problem.

But as the OP pointed out this has absolutely nothing to do with his password problem.

The OP stated his opinion. He did not rule out any of the suggestions as not working (yet).

Don't put words into our conversation that are not there. I never stated it's a systemic issue for all users. You did. I stated to test if that workaround would be beneficial here too.

How would people know to 'flood' the forums with such reports unless they stop using ports 5-8 and see their network stable again?

I'm not offering help to diagnose the problem. I never stated I would.

I'm offering help to find a solution. Even if that means buying an additional switch instead of throwing out the router with the bath water.

Yes, I'm sure you have. Because you also forget that I state to test to see if it's the same for their issues too.

Please don't get stuck on words. My intentions are (always) to help. What are yours?

How would people know to 'flood' the forums with such reports unless they stop using ports 5-8 and see their network stable again?
There is no logic to this statement. If people are having problems (like being unable to use ports 5-8) they will post about it in the forums. If a lot of people have the same problem there will be lots of similar posts. People that don't have any problems won't post about it.

Yes, there is logic in that statement. If you want to see it. Don't want to continue having to defend my posts. If you can't/don't understand, it is not my problem after I have explained it as best as I can to you.

I'm not sure how to log in using "incognito" mode.

It depends on the browser you're using. For Chrome, (I think) it is called 'incognito' mode. For Edge, it is called 'InPrivate'.

What browser are you using? The idea here is to not allow any extensions or other browser manipulations to affect what you're typing into the fields you're changing.

If by "fully resetting" you mean

Don't waste your time. This forum member knows reboot and reset only. This is not internal switch failure either. I remember simulating a bug in Asuswrt when admin password can't be changed if you have Samba shares with users different than Admin. If you do, check if the user on top of the list is Admin or something else. You obviously can login to the GUI, the issue is in Administration page. Can you login to ssh? There is a way to reset the admin password in ssh, but before you do anything there ask people like @ColinTaylor or @dave14305 for advice. Reset is the last option, not the first.

This is the one of examples why AC88U is garbage. Password issue happens a lot with almost all of ASUS Routers.

I would make sure no password manager is active in the browser when trying to change the password. How many special characters are in your password?

The current password gets hexMD5 hashed and then converted to lowercase before being sent to the httpd cgi function in web.c. The a closed source check_chpass_auth() function compares your old password. No idea how that part works, unfortunately.

If you want to play with this in the browser, go to the System page and open the F12 Dev console. In the console tab, paste the following code, updating your current and new password. If it works, you get a 200 result. If not, 401.

JavaScript:
httpApi.chpass({"restart_httpd": "1", "cur_username":accounts[0], "cur_passwd":"myoldpw", "new_passwd":"mynewpw"});

Also just put accounts[0]; in the console box first and make sure it returns the username you expect.

If it gives any errors, maybe a special character is breaking the syntax.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!