What's new

RT-AC88U, FW382.1.2: intern clients not always reachable (and more)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dokape

Occasional Visitor
Router Asus RT-AC88U with FW 382.1.2, Mode: wireless Router (DUAL-WAN)

3 bugs:

1: Internal clients are not always reachable.
I have 4 Spotify connect clients: FireTV (LAN), Chromestick (LAN), AVR-Receivevr (LAN) and DAB-Radio (LAN-Connect to WLAN-Bridge), and some other devices like an IoT weather / dust-sensor.
All have static IP via DHCP by the AC88U (Manul assigned)
My Problem: sometimes I cannot connect from my tablet, smartphone, laptop, PC to that devices.
The devices are definitely connected, internet Access is possible, they work. I just cannot connect them
through internal connection.
FIX: I connect to the AC88U, call Network Tools, do 5 good pings to IP of the device and - what surprise - now I can
reach my device from my tablet, PC etc. For some time, then it will be lost again.
I cannot see any reason for losing internal routing. Not always every device is affected, sometimes the dustsensor, sometimes the kitchen Radio, sometimes the living-room AVR, sometimes the WLAN-Repeater.
I have >30 devices connected by LAN and WLAN and Repeater. Ipads, Smartphones w. Android and iOS, Printer, Scanner, PCs, Laptops, AVR, Chromesticks, Alexa, Google Home, Hue, Raspberry pi.
Load of CPU is Most Time below 10%.
Regular monthly traffic is at 600GB to 1000GB.
Older ASUS RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_380_3341-g25420f5 Firmware had not this problem.

2: DUAL-WAN with load balancer, delay.
two different Provider: Main: VDSL (WAN), Second: CABLE (LAN1)
Problem: If i do not bind a client to an IP-Adress and bind that adress to a specific WAN (eg VDSL or CABLE)
I have delays accessing any Service in Internet. e.g. I have to reload the Website / Page 2 or 3 time until the Website/page appears.
Affected: LANCable connected devices (PCs) as well as WLAN-Connected devices like tablet, phones, Laptop.
Setting the DUAL-WAN to failover, the problem does not exist.

3: DUAL-WAN: Traffic Analyzer only shows Internet-connections at WAN. Older Firmware hat a TAB WAN and LAN1

Last edited:
The same with this firmware and the rt88u here. :confused:

It's really annoying not to reach Clients within the own network. :-(
To login the Router and do a ping to the adress to get the thing working.

Interesting: The Route to the devices are not broken from any client:
From my Raspberry Pi I can Ping and call the Admin-Sites on HTTP and Port 80
While from my Android Tablet and from my PC (PC connected on same switch on Router) are not able to call or ping the weather sensor nor the webradio.
The weather sensor delivers every 2,5 minutes data to the raspberry pi and data to an external server. There is no fault.
But after some time (minutes until hours) the router does not route data from several (not all) clients not to all clients.
A router restart helps. But every day a router restart should not be a solution?

Can I setup a route like:

Host Netmask Destination
192.168.100.* 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.* U MAN

makes no sense....

Any idea? Any suggestion?

I have had the same issue.

I have a wireless extender, the 5g works but the 2.4 g wont. Also must reboot unit twice a day to reconnect, even with it showing connected.

I also have random drops on connections, I am using static DHCP on these devices.

Rolled back to 380.69, all devices are connecting correctly.

I tried the new Asus-Software:
RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_382_18991-gc0b6a33 (Nov 24.)

It seems a DHCP-Lease issue:
Connected devices are seeing each other. Here the weather sensor and my android tablet.
I switch my android tablet to flight mode (for using a software and suppress loading ads),
switch some minutes the flight mode off, connect to the WLAN again and: puff: I cannot reach the weather sensor.
This works even with the Gbit wired PC: Go into hybernate, come back: and: puff: no connect to the weather sensor.
Wait some minutes 10 to 30, try sometimes and: hey, suddenly it works again.

With Alexa, Google Home Mini, Philips HUE, a lot of network based IoT like Nintendo WiiU, Xbox, Printers, Scanners, FAX, Laptops, Smartphones, Tablets, WLAN-Plugs, Blueray player,
Fire TV, some Google Chromes, Smart-TV and other stuff,
well all the things you have at a 4 person family,
This should work. The clients should see each other to be able to be controlled by smartphone and co.

Hi,

I'm using a dual NAT environment (ONT modem and AC88u) and on 382 and also 384 some devices connected to AC88u regardless of LAN ports (1-4 or 5-8) are pushed on the ONT LAN, not being accessible from AC88u LAN as if AC88u would be in bridge mode.

I use 192.168.1.x IP range for ONT LAN and 192.168.0.x for AC88u. Some devices connected to AC88u are getting IPs in the 192.168.1.x subnet although they're set with DHCP.

Thanks

On the AC88u LAN sesttings:
DNS Server 1 192.168.0.1
Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS No
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS No
Enable DNSSEC support No
Enable Manual Assignment Yes