What's new

RT-AC88U wifi dies after hours of torrenting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeden

Regular Contributor
The only way to fix it is a reboot. I am going to attach what the console says.

Attachments

• ac88u log.txt
    40.8 KB · Views: 124
NGL: smart people won't DL and open an unknown text file from an unknown source, so you're unlikely to get much help that way.

That said, if you're using your router as a torrenting host, I'm not surprised that it's failing every few hours: it wasn't made to do that. use a proper, more full-functioned computer instead.
Truthfully, I'd never go back to this old-school way of doing things. kodi + debrid subscription ($3/mo maybe) + debrid-enabled add-on and you can stream basically anything on demand after it has been released/aired

Welcome to the world of overloaded network equipment. This is one of the reasons why many colleges and universities block such activities.

Morris

NGL: smart people won't DL and open an unknown text file from an unknown source, so you're unlikely to get much help that way.
Smart people know that text files are harmless. They won't bite you.

That said, if you're using your router as a torrenting host, I'm not surprised that it's failing every few hours: it wasn't made to do that. use a proper, more full-functioned computer instead.
Truthfully, I'd never go back to this old-school way of doing things. kodi + debrid subscription ($3/mo maybe) + debrid-enabled add-on and you can stream basically anything on demand after it has been released/aired
My router wasn't made to be used as a "torrenting host"? Is there some documentation on asus.com regarding how many connections I can open every minute before the wifi driver craps itself and I'm out of support? That would be useful.

Smart people know that text files are harmless. They won't bite you.

My router wasn't made to be used as a "torrenting host"? Is there some documentation on asus.com regarding how many connections I can open every minute before the wifi driver craps itself and I'm out of support? That would be useful.
The limit includes the size of the NAT table, overall RAM, open connections, CPU and more. Try limiting the number of connections in and out on your torrent client to a few hundred and then increase by 100 till it dies. Then you will know the limit.

Morris

Smarter people also know that malicious code can be hidden in seemingly innocent text files too.

Next time, pastebin.com will be your trusted, sharing friend.

The limit includes the size of the NAT table, overall RAM, open connections, CPU and more. Try limiting the number of connections in and out on your torrent client to a few hundred and then increase by 100 till it dies. Then you will know the limit.

Morris
That's the problem: it dies after hours (let's say 6). It's hard to test things this way.

In any case I'm sure it's not a problem of a "limit". I am certain it is a software bug that only surfaces when the router is put under stress. There may be a way of contacting ASUS about it so they can fix the driver; I will have to find out.

The wifi on the ac88u is janky anyway. I constantly had problems with normal use. All my problems went away when i disable the wifi and use AP, Router running much smoother and wifi throughout the house is better.

That's the problem: it dies after hours (let's say 6). It's hard to test things this way.

In any case I'm sure it's not a problem of a "limit". I am certain it is a software bug that only surfaces when the router is put under stress. There may be a way of contacting ASUS about it so they can fix the driver; I will have to find out.

6 hours is rather short for an intermittent problem. Set the limit to 200 threads and you will probably stay up. If it crashes cut in half and try again. If it stays up and you want more, double till you crash and then back off. Make you changes on crashes or once a day. This is what professionals do.

The process is easy and had you followed the advice you would be one day closer to stable with reasonable limits.

:)

Switching to openwrt fixed this, which proves the obvious: this is a software (driver) issue, and you don't need to spend hundreds of euros in professional equipment to fix a driver bug, despite what some brains here say.

People in some countries use 50cc mopeds as family transportation, sometimes for pigs and goats too. It works, obviously.