What's new

RT-AX86U PPPoE Relay not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L

looney

I have a PPPoE relay problem. A RT-AX86U with 388.1 firmware connected to a DSL/PPPoE modem on the WAN port connects to the internet fine via PPPoE. I enabled NAT Passthrough option "PPPoE Relay" and connect a RT-AC750 to a LAN port on the RT-AX86U. The RT-AC750 has its WAN set to connect via PPPoE.

The RT-AC750 does not connect to the internet. I does not obtain a WAN IP.

I have the same problem using the latest ASUS factory firmware. I reported it to ASUS support mid November 2022.

The RT-AX86U will connect by itself via PPPoE. If you then connect the RT-AC750 to a LAN port, the RT-AC750 will not connect. If you then switch the WAN port of the RT-AX86U to DHCP, the RT-AC750 will connect. If you then switch the WAN port of the RT-AX86U back to PPPoE, the RT-AX86U will not connect until you disconnect the RT-AC750.

ASUS supports suggested that I use DHCP on the WAN port of the RT-AX86U.

I'm hoping they will come back with a better solution.

So you have a single modem with 2 routers and you want to use 2 different ISP accounts... is this the case?

So you have a single modem with 2 routers and you want to use 2 different ISP accounts... is this the case?
I have a single port DSL Modem. I have a RT-AX86U connected to it with the WAN port set to PPPoE. I get an assigned WAN IP. I connect a RT-AC750 to a LAN port to get the RT-AC750 a dynamic PPPoE WAN IP. It doesn’t connect.

I would like to connect various PPPoE routers to the LAN ports of the RT-AX86U as I test routers for work to use in our production network.

Does this single modem allow multiple PPPoE connections?

Yes, but I don't want to add a switch. I really want PPPoE Relay fixed.

Was this working on any other Asus router or firmware before?

Yes, It worked with a RT-AC68U and firmware about 3 or 4 releases ago. It has never worked with a RT-AX86U and any firmware.

In this case you have perhaps discovered yet another non-working properly Asuswrt feature. Good luck with reporting.

I have tried all of the RT-AX86U asuswrt-merlin firmwares and they work the same way.

You can have either the RT-AX86U connect via PPPoE or the RT-AC750 connected to the RT-AX86U connect via PPPoE, but not both. If you try to connect both, the first one to connect will connect and the second one won't. Usually it's the RT-AX86U.

The problem is in both asuswrt and asuswrt-merlin.

I've never tried separate PPPoE connections via the same modem and I can't comment further on this issue, sorry.

You can do it using a RT-AC68U and ASUS firmware FW_RT_AC68U_300438645987 or FW_RT_AC68U_300438649703. You will get a connection completion rate of ~70% for the RT-AC750.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!