What's new

RT-AX86U Pro Case Width?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Would anyone who owns an RT-AX86U Pro be able to measure the case width for me and also the maximum width between the tops of the two outer aerials when set at 45 degrees, rather than straight up? The ASUS spec says that the router is 242 mm wide, but that seems too big from what I remember.

Dimensions
(with antennas) 9.52 x 3.93 x 12.79 in (242 x 100 x 325 mm)
Dimensions
(without antennas) 9.52 x 3.93 x 6.45 in (242 x 100 x 164 mm)

In an angle of 45 degrees the height it must be: 241.5 mm
Ah reed to fast the width. yeb that needs visual measurements. sorry

Last edited:
Would anyone who owns an RT-AX86U Pro be able to measure the case width for me and also the maximum width between the tops of the two outer aerials when set at 45 degrees, rather than straight up? The ASUS spec says that the router is 242 mm wide, but that seems too big from what I remember.

Case width is 9.5" at base. Outer antenna tips at 45d are 14.5" apart. I'd leave a couple feet of free space around it.

OE

Leave the antenna vertical. Asus usually mentions in the install instructions when they recommend other than a vertical position. There is a fourth antenna in the case and it is likely vertical.

Leave the antenna vertical. Asus usually mentions in the install instructions when they recommend other than a vertical position. There is a fourth antenna in the case and it is likely vertical.
This is from the user manual:
Router Aerials Position.jpg

Interesting the difference between the AX86U and the AX86U Pro.
This is from the AX86U manual:
AX86U.jpg

I find that tilting the antennas can improve coverage/strength in areas above and below (upstairs and downstairs), and it seems 'better' in general (I have uneven terrain outside)... I've wondered about it helping with 'beamforming'(?)

OE

Ah, another eternal question... antenna up or antenna angled? No right answer? Depends on the environment? Depends on how you feel at that moment? Depends if you bothered to read the proverbial instructions?

Wahoo! Straight up or at a 90 degree angle from the top of the case works well for me on both router and node.

What @RMerlin posted about this.

You live in an flat. Your antennas must be pointed up.

This is the best arrangement - MIMO considers all paths equal, and does the differences in the baseband of the radio itself...

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 5.51.03 PM.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!