What's new

RT-AX88U router randomly dropping connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bier0711

New Around Here
Problem:

Every few hours (16 - 36 hours), all of a sudden all connected wireless clients drop their connection with the router. Wired connections can't access the internet, but I can access the router GUI. The Router GUI WAN status still says connected and the LED lights indicate its connected as well, but that can't be true. The router log has no obvious errors or WAN down messages, however, I can see multiple wireless clients being denied access due to failed password authentication while this is occurring. From my ISP Modem/Router perspective, its admin page shows that my router is not connected, however, if I plug in a computer directly to the modem, it will obtain an IP and can access the Internet. The only fix is to reboot the router, but this is getting tiresome having to do this every day or so. I have tried other options such as turning off my Internet access (toggle) and back on, but if I do that I get the error saying there is a problem with my ISP's DHCP. However, if I toggle this switch any other time (when things are working), it reconnects just fine.

Current setup:

I currently have a cable model XB7 from my ISP. I have tried it in both bridged and un-bridged mode (yes I know this is a double NAT), but the result is always the same. My main router is an RT-AX88U with an RT-AX58U AIMesh node, with ethernet backhaul. I run a single wifi network with smart connect (default) plus one guest network for my IoT devices. I have standard/default DHCP WAN access setup with ISP provided DNS servers. I have tried "Special Requirements from ISP" options such as MAC Address clone and I have played with my DHCP query frequency (e.g., Aggressive, Normal, etc.), but to no affect. I am also on stock Asus firmware running the latest version (as of Jan 2023 - 3.0.0.4.388_22237-g9120e16). I have also tried a hard reset on a couple of occasions but the problem always returns.

Any thoughts or ideas on how this could be fixed?

Problem:

Every few hours (16 - 36 hours), all of a sudden all connected wireless clients drop their connection with the router. Wired connections can't access the internet, but I can access the router GUI. The Router GUI WAN status still says connected and the LED lights indicate its connected as well, but that can't be true. The router log has no obvious errors or WAN down messages, however, I can see multiple wireless clients being denied access due to failed password authentication while this is occurring. From my ISP Modem/Router perspective, its admin page shows that my router is not connected, however, if I plug in a computer directly to the modem, it will obtain an IP and can access the Internet. The only fix is to reboot the router, but this is getting tiresome having to do this every day or so. I have tried other options such as turning off my Internet access (toggle) and back on, but if I do that I get the error saying there is a problem with my ISP's DHCP. However, if I toggle this switch any other time (when things are working), it reconnects just fine.

Current setup:

I currently have a cable model XB7 from my ISP. I have tried it in both bridged and un-bridged mode (yes I know this is a double NAT), but the result is always the same. My main router is an RT-AX88U with an RT-AX58U AIMesh node, with ethernet backhaul. I run a single wifi network with smart connect (default) plus one guest network for my IoT devices. I have standard/default DHCP WAN access setup with ISP provided DNS servers. I have tried "Special Requirements from ISP" options such as MAC Address clone and I have played with my DHCP query frequency (e.g., Aggressive, Normal, etc.), but to no affect. I am also on stock Asus firmware running the latest version (as of Jan 2023 - 3.0.0.4.388_22237-g9120e16). I have also tried a hard reset on a couple of occasions but the problem always returns.

No issue seen here.

FWIW, My config:

Admin - Network Monitoring
Dns query = y
Ping = y

Resolve host name = dns.quad9.net
Ping target = 9.9.9.9

DHCP query = aggressive.

Might work for you?

... I am also on stock Asus firmware running the latest version (as of Jan 2023 - 3.0.0.4.388_22237-g9120e16). I have also tried a hard reset on a couple of occasions but the problem always returns.

There are a lot of people reporting problems with the 388 firmware series --- in particular, it seems pretty well established that there's a nasty memory leak in there somewhere. You might try keeping an eye on the router's free memory and seeing if it goes down to nothing around the time the trouble starts. In any case, reverting to 386-something is worth a try. (There are mixed opinions about whether to do a hard reset after reverting to an older firmware version; I'd say be prepared to do one if you observe odd behavior.)

Problem:

Current setup:

Same thing used to happen to me when I had that router, only old firmware would fix this based on 384.XX, anything newer and the router would randomly disconnect I was so fed up of it and didn't want to stay on older firmware so I sold it. If you search on this forum for AX88U disconnection you will see so many similar threads.

Yes, I have same issue. The only fix I have, as you mentioned is to restart it. I have seen this on a few different Asus routers(ac68u ax82u and ax88u).
Workaround I have is a zibgee plug connected to it and will restart if internet goes down for 10 min. :)
But I guess there is a possibility to have some script running on the router and do the same thing.

I wonder do asus have sw issue or is it a hw issue with some internet isps? I had few years ago an router from my isp: Technicolor TG799vac Xtream
That one did not drop wan at all, only if there really was a problem.

My setup is fiber - media converter - RT-AX88U.

No settings has ever fixed the issue, tried them all more or less. :(

I love otherwise asus routers, but I'm not sure what I should do. Buy a newer one and hope it will be fixed or go for another brand.
Can mention that I have sent logs to Asus many times...no response or fixes.

This sounds like failing hardware because AX88U is popular and many folks are using it with no issues.

There are a lot of people reporting problems with the 388 firmware series --- in particular, it seems pretty well established that there's a nasty memory leak in there somewhere. You might try keeping an eye on the router's free memory and seeing if it goes down to nothing around the time the trouble starts. In any case, reverting to 386-something is worth a try. (There are mixed opinions about whether to do a hard reset after reverting to an older firmware version; I'd say be prepared to do one if you observe odd behavior.)
Thanks for the input. Perhaps that is something to try.

Same thing used to happen to me when I had that router, only old firmware would fix this based on 384.XX, anything newer and the router would randomly disconnect I was so fed up of it and didn't want to stay on older firmware so I sold it. If you search on this forum for AX88U disconnection you will see so many similar threads.
That is not very encouraging. But thanks for pointing this out.

Just on time:

:)

Those with reconnects: do you have a Chromecast in your network? I had one and it turned out to be the culprit of random disconnects on my RT-AX92U.

I have a different router, RT-AX58U v2, with the latest official firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22237-g912e16. There is no Merlin firmware for this particular model.

I am experiencing the exact same problem as the original poster. It happens roughly once a day and it is completely random as far as I can tell. All LAN clients (ethernet and wifi) lose their internet connection. The problem doesn't go away on its own, no matter how much I wait - the only solution is to reboot the router.
When it happens, the router GUI shows nothing special on the Status page - there is low CPU usage and plenty of free RAM. What I find most interesting is that on the Network Tools tab of the router page I can run pings and traceroutes to any of the listed sites, and they work perfectly fine - meaning that the router does "see" the internet. Another weird thing is that if I am watching a stream (e.g. on Twitch), that one keeps running normally for several minutes, but if I try to refresh the page it instantly dies.

Nothing special shows in the syslog. Similar to other users, I have tried all possible settings - same outcome. Restoring to factory didn't solve the problem either.

@bier0711, have you tried downgrading to an earlier firmware version?

Hello, no, I have not tried an earlier firmware version just yet, but its on my list to try. I was thinking of going back to a 386.x version.

Those with reconnects: do you have a Chromecast in your network? I had one and it turned out to be the culprit of random disconnects on my RT-AX92U.
Actually, I do have a Chromecast, I can try disconnecting it to see if it has any impact.

Quick update - using the 386.x version for 3 days - no disconnections, looks rock solid. So I guess it's something related to the firmware (the 388.x branch).

So I'm on my THIRD AX11000 (sorry, it's different, but similar). I use it as an EXTENDER with my main GT-AC5300. AX11000 running 388 (Asus official). AC5300 running 386 (can't go to 388).
I've had battles with Asus (escalation) support, including asinine questions around signal strength, antennas, and wireless positioning. They want logs when I've factory reset it 20x. I've configured as main, extender, AND AiMesh. Merlin code AND Asus production code (now running 100% Asus, no Merlin).

In any case, after 6-9 months, EVERY AX11000 (running 386 up until now) would disconnect. Power outage on main router? Disconnect. Issue with AX11000 extender? Disconnect.

I've "traced" it (not scientifically) to the wireless radio code in the AX-series.

Unfortunately for this thread, 388 actually has FIXED it - for now. It's been a week.

Not sure if the AX88 has the same wireless radio code. And if using the AX as main vs. extender (AiMesh) would make a difference.

I have a different router, RT-AX58U v2, with the latest official firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22237-g912e16. There is no Merlin firmware for this particular model.

I am experiencing the exact same problem as the original poster. It happens roughly once a day and it is completely random as far as I can tell. All LAN clients (ethernet and wifi) lose their internet connection. The problem doesn't go away on its own, no matter how much I wait - the only solution is to reboot the router.
When it happens, the router GUI shows nothing special on the Status page - there is low CPU usage and plenty of free RAM. What I find most interesting is that on the Network Tools tab of the router page I can run pings and traceroutes to any of the listed sites, and they work perfectly fine - meaning that the router does "see" the internet. Another weird thing is that if I am watching a stream (e.g. on Twitch), that one keeps running normally for several minutes, but if I try to refresh the page it instantly dies.

Nothing special shows in the syslog. Similar to other users, I have tried all possible settings - same outcome. Restoring to factory didn't solve the problem either.

@bier0711, have you tried downgrading to an earlier firmware version?
Recently, I noticed that there was a new 388 version released and I though, why not try this out first. I did upgrade to 3.0.0.4.388_22525 and I have been running now for days with no connection or WAN drops. Looking like bad code in one of the Asus firmware releases.

I'm running something similar:

AX88U as main router with 388.22525
AX86S as node on 388.22525

Both where factory reset after flashing.

I also experience the same issue, suddenly all devices loose internet connection and I need to reboot the router to get it going again.

The only thing I see in the logs are Iphones connecting/disconnecting from the 5G network.

Close to throwing the bloody thing out the window :)

Maybe I should try the last 386 release instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!