What's new

Samba v2.0 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

Asus RT-AC68U / Merlin 384.7 (same for 384.6)

It really looks like SMB 2.0 does not work as well as 1.0+2.0 option.

It was mentioned here earlier (here), but I observed the same issue on Ubuntu 18.04.1: it is not possible to view shared router HDD with any possible option rather than SMB 1.0. So it is definitely not Windows 10 issue.

Any comments on this?

My router is configured with SMBv2 and I have a couple of network drives in W10 mapped to two different USB devices connected to it. These connections have been solid for months.
Make sure to set 'Force as Master Browser' to yes.
If you are trying to mount the samba shared in linux, set 'protocol = SMB3' in /etc/samba/smb.conf

Nope.
Does not work until SMBv1 is the only switched on.
By the way Windows 10 should also understand SMBv2 as standard, shouldn't it?

Windows 10 no longer uses SMBv1, it is disabled by default.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

No, I tried to use linux client to mount router samba share.
Still, it is recommended to to configure Samba to use SMBv3

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Small update: really, mount points will work, but clients (both windows and linux) cannot discover network shares when opening "Network" in explorer.

Please note the router acts as Master Browser and WINS server. All clients are set to use it - and it works when SMBv1 only is chosen.

Small update: really, mount points will work, but clients (both windows and linux) cannot discover network shares when opening "Network" in explorer.

Please note the router acts as Master Browser and WINS server. All clients are set to use it - and it works when SMBv1 only is chosen.

Network browsing is a feature of SMBv1, not available in newer versions. This is normal.

Due to security, shared location are not displayed in windows network any more. You must create the connection manually by adding a 'network location' or 'mapping a network drive' from explorer.

The WINS server has also been deprecated, is useless to set the router up with it.

OK, why I cannot browse when "SMBv1+SMBv2" is set?

Because the connection is established with the highest supported protocol version.

Reactions: gjf
Windows 10 and Merlin SMB2 only here. Works great.

So the issue is somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk