What's new

Saved Asuswrt-Merlin CFG file unique to each Asus model?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ecsaltz

New Around Here
I have a Asuswrt-Merlin firmwared RT-66U as my main router. I have a spare RT-16 that I would like to use as a backup using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, but I would have to duplicate a lot of settings if I do.

Can the CFG file (of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware settings) of the RT-66U be uploaded to the RT-16? Thanks!

You can't. In addition to the MACs written in the config being different, you are also going from a single band to a dual band router, with entirely different hardware and settings.

You can't. In addition to the MACs written in the config being different, you are also going from a single band to a dual band router, with entirely different hardware and settings.

I thought that might be the case, thanks for the fast response. Incidentally, I started using DD-WRT just a few years after it was available. I switched to Asuswrt-Merlin because (1) the releases each tend to be more stable than DD-WRT and (2) the interface is more straightforward.