What's new

"Set network location" issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teeo

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I have a strange issue. Every time I reboot my rt-n66u and after that I reboot my windows 7 machines, the "Set network location" dialog pops up in windows. Does anyone know why this appends?
(i'm running the latest Merlin build)

Hello!

I have a strange issue. Every time I reboot my rt-n66u and after that I reboot my windows 7 machines, the "Set network location" dialog pops up in windows. Does anyone know why this appends?
(i'm running the latest Merlin build)
\

Did you set a static IP for your pc ?
In the case you did not set a static IP adress for the router please try to set one.
In my case the problem was with the DHCP server of the N66U, after setting a static ip the problem was gone.

\

Did you set a static IP for your pc ?
In the case you did not set a static IP adress for the router please try to set one.
In my case the problem was with the DHCP server of the N66U, after setting a static ip the problem was gone.

Yes. But i have a mixed enviroment where my desktop computers are static and laptops are dhcp assigned.

I did some more googleing and found this link http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=709425
I can confirm that the issue is related to openvpn and tap. When i disable the openvpn server I no longer have the issue. After reading the link I'm still not sure what to do to resolve the issue

Do you really need TAP? For most people TUN works just as well (and is actually less problematic).

TAP should only be used for cases where you really need to have your client computer act as if it was physically on the same LAN, so it can support broadcast-based applications (such as DHCP) for example.

Do you really need TAP? For most people TUN works just as well (and is actually less problematic).

TAP should only be used for cases where you really need to have your client computer act as if it was physically on the same LAN, so it can support broadcast-based applications (such as DHCP) for example.

no. the only reason I chose tap is because I got i to "work" :)
I did try to use tun but for some reason the vpn client could not reach the machines in my 192.168.2.0 net. I guess it has something to do with routing but since i got tap to work i did not digg into how routing works :)

I have created a user script (services-start) that sets the tap hw address. The script executes att reboot but the address is not set. If I run the script manually , address is set.
I get the feeling that OpenVpn is not yet started when the script executes.
How can I get the script to execute after OpenVpn is started?

no. the only reason I chose tap is because I got i to "work" :)
I did try to use tun but for some reason the vpn client could not reach the machines in my 192.168.2.0 net. I guess it has something to do with routing but since i got tap to work i did not digg into how routing works :)

Make sure you run your OpenVPN client with elevated rights. When the client connects, the server will push the route to it, and your client must be run as administrator to have the permissions to apply the new route to your client OS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!