What's new

SHareing problems with Asus RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TomAce

Occasional Visitor
I've created ddns, when I try to reach my files through internet with a PC on https://xxxxxxx.asuscomm.com I only can access my files with the administrator password. I cannot access with any new accounts, deoes anyone know what can be the problem?

Also I wish to edit my excel files via internet from PCs.
How can I edit my files at my https://xxxxxxx.asuscomm.com page?
I can access my files through the internet, I can rename them in the browser, but I can upload new files via ftp, but I can not modify my excels there. It says it is read only.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Last edited:
Yes at the Samba page.
192.168.1.1 => USB Application => AiDisk => For advanced file-sharing configuration. Click here => Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk.

Here if I 'Allow guest login' i even cannot add new account.

I am checking the link what you provided right now, thank you.

I've created ddns, when I try to reach my files through internet with a PC on https://xxxxxxx.asuscomm.com I only can access my files with the administrator password. I cannot access with any new accounts, deoes anyone know what can be the problem?

Unfortunately, AiCloud only allows the router's main user to be used. No idea if Asus will ever implement support for additional users.

Unfortunately, AiCloud only allows the router's main user to be used. No idea if Asus will ever implement support for additional users.

Thank you, jsut strange while I have the add new account option there if it is not working :rolleyes:

And do you know why I can not edit my excels as admin? It keep saying it is read only.

I am always amazed that with the number of secure cloud options for file sharing available (OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Cubby, Tresorit, MediaFire, Bit Torrent Sync, etc.) why one would want to fool around with something already demonstrated to be of questionable security and which is so limited like AiCloud, or worse, something like ftp for file sharing with friends.

I realize the trend is to try to cram as many features into a single box consumer router as possible, and to turn the wireless router into a self-contained, all-purpose file-sharing computer and server, but c'mon....there are limitations and real-world functionalities that one ought to take into account, particularly if one is using file sharing for business purposes and reliability and security are at a premium. Secure VPN is great when you are using enterprise-based solutions, but how difficult do you need to make your non-enterprise life? AiCloud? Really?

How simple is it to share files, edit them, collaborate and do anything you want with them on something like OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.? So easy that I cannot possibly imagine wasting the time spent needed to work through and configure something like AiCloud. And if it's security you're concerned about, encrypt your files and only share the decryption keys with those you trust. There are plenty of secure (and free) options available (e.g., Bit Torrent Sync, Tresorit, Bitcasa, etc) out there that are far better, and way more versatile than something like AiCloud.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to "advanced" features of some of the routers available.....I principally expect it to route, provide wireless access with the best speeds possible and the greatest range. If I need to do file sharing or ediing of documents, spreadsheets and the like, it's way easier (and far more secure since I'm not potentially exposing other aspects of my network) to use a good, secure cloud service.

Last edited:
I am always amazed that with the number of secure cloud options for file sharing available (OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Cubby, Tresorit, MediaFire, Bit Torrent Sync, etc.) why one would want to fool around with something already demonstrated to be of questionable security and which is so limited like AiCloud, or worse, something like ftp for file sharing with friends.

Privacy. Some people don't trust third party file lockers, and want to ensure that the files remain on their network.

Also, AiCloud gives access to your whole LAN, not just to plugged USB drives. I certainly wouldn't want to upload my entire music/video collection online for remote access.

Privacy. Some people don't trust third party file lockers, and want to ensure that the files remain on their network.

Also, AiCloud gives access to your whole LAN, not just to plugged USB drives. I certainly wouldn't want to upload my entire music/video collection online for remote access.

Exactly, no trust I don't want to upload my documents to cloud and I also do not want to share my pictures.

We're all concerned about privacy.

But are you saying that the security holes in AiCloud that were reported last year are now totally and completely fixed, and there's zero risk at all of exposing one's entire LAN on the internet to hackers by using AiCloud?

If so, please confirm.

And likewise, I wouldn't want to make my entire LAN available on the internet, even inadvertently, whereas I have no issue uploading even the most sensitive files containing business or financial data to a cloud service that I know is totally secure encrypted in a manner where only I have the keys to unlock them, but once unlocked, I can easily edit them every time, or share them with some, but not all of my colleagues or friends, and can selectively make only certain files and not all of my files, available for sharing.

Frankly, I understood the OP to be talking about his inability to edit some spreadsheet files and to share them with others....a task that can be easily done in Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. And if you want total and utter privacy just use Bit Torrent Sync, or Tresorit, or Bitcasa, all of which are utterly and completely private....so private that if you lose your password no one can recover them. You can choose which files to share, which folders to share, and still maintain security over those you don't want to share. Can you do that with AiCloud? Can you configure a VPN to do that as easily as you can do it on OneDrive or Dropbox?

Last edited:
We're all concerned about privacy.

But are you saying that the security holes in AiCloud that were reported last year are now totally and completely fixed, and there's zero risk at all of exposing one's entire LAN on the internet to hackers by using AiCloud?

If so, please confirm.

I never said that, and I can't say it either since the code is closed source, so I have no way of knowing (assuming I were a security expert who would have the skill to do an actual code audit - which I ain't).

Zero risk in the Internet world of 2015 means pulling on the plug, to be honest. With the high-profile hacks of late, I wouldn't consider Dropbox as zero risk either. A simple successful social engineering attack could open the door, no matter how secure the software behind the platform would be. Humans are most commonly the weakest point in any security system.

See how a mere consultant managed to run away from the NSA with a whole cache of confidential data.

I never said that, and I can't say it either since the code is closed source, so I have no way of knowing (assuming I were a security expert who would have the skill to do an actual code audit - which I ain't).

Zero risk in the Internet world of 2015 means pulling on the plug, to be honest. With the high-profile hacks of late, I wouldn't consider Dropbox as zero risk either. A simple successful social engineering attack could open the door, no matter how secure the software behind the platform would be. Humans are most commonly the weakest point in any security system.

See how a mere consultant managed to run away from the NSA with a whole cache of confidential data.

Yes. Humans are the weakest point in any security chain and Snowden proved that point pretty well. But I still am more comfortable putting a limited set of files on a relatively secure medium like a Dropbox-type cloud drive, so I can have them when needed, or share them with colleagues, more so than I am with having my entire LAN potentially exposed through a hole in AiCloud. Just a personal preference. The bottom line is that if you're really and truly bent on keeping everything private, as you say, you should be completely unplugged and use only Sneakernet to transfer files you may need remotely.

Last edited:
If you dont trust your data with 3rd party than make your own cloud. I use aeroFS to sync files within a selected folder across my cluster and i can access it from internet just like dropbox. aerofs is just like dropbox but is LAN only and limited to your hard drive space.

RMerlin do you know how to add another file backup solution other than the solutions listed in the firmware? I think you can add but i dont know how. If not consider adding aerofs if you can to your firmware.

I still use dropbox but i use aerofs because theres no space limit and because it is lan only. I wouldnt want my computers busy syncing with online while i need them to run a recent change.

RMerlin do you know how to add another file backup solution other than the solutions listed in the firmware? I think you can add but i dont know how. If not consider adding aerofs if you can to your firmware.

Only Asus can do that. It requires being developed and implemented at the firmware level, it's not just a simple plugin concept.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!