What's new

[solved] hidden SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amplatfus

Hi

I observed that in Firmware 380.63_2 on AC88U hidden wireless network seems not working. At restart is switching automatically from yes hidden to no hidden. Also I saw recently that even when is yes hidden it appears in the list of discovered networks even I removed it from known networks.

I mention that I have dual-band smart connect set on. I have tried change it from ssh using nvram settings but with the same result.

Please, this settings in your case works? Also if you have any advice please let me know.
Thank you in advance
amplatfus

All the current advice I've seen on the security value of hiding the SSID is, not only is it pointless, but all it will achieve is making life difficult only for you, the network administrator. So don't try to hide the SSID.

Smart Connect overrides a lot of wireless settings - this could be another one of them.

One thing folks might not realize about hiding the SSID - in DFS channels, hiding the SSID will cause discovery issues because clients cannot send out the 802.11 Probe Requests when actively searching for a candidate AP - they can only do passive scanning, which takes a very long time..

If the SSID is visible in a DFS channel, the client can associate immediately, as the assumption is that the AP has already done the Radar check and passed...

I solved after entering below commands. I think it was because using of Smart Connect. I think wl1_closed="0" with Smart Connect ON was the root cause.
Code:
nvram set wl0_closed=1
nvram set wl1_closed=1
nvram commit
service restart_wireless
Thank you all!

PS: this situation appeared when I you change the hidden status while Smart Connect is ON. (wl1_closed remain "0")

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!