What's new

Solved Wired speeds slow with three different ASUS WiFi 6 routers, any fixes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is what I get if I use browser, try speed test app and see if you getting the result.

Reread my post - I have (and almost always do, as web tests seem to struggle) use the speedtest app, it has always been far more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I can think of win 10 update which might have screwed up the result.

I get my speeds just fine with the AC router (again not my full gig due to more saturation on the node with Spectrum) the AX ones all max out at 300 and the AC goes well beyond that.

I get my speeds just fine with the AC router (again not my full gig due to more saturation on the node with Spectrum) the AX ones all max out at 300 and the AC goes well beyond that.

Hmm, just want ask what firmware you router is on? Another possibility is you got lemon product, but with three of them that is less likely.
Can add switch between router and computer and see if it helps, though unlikely it will.

Hmm, just want ask what firmware you router is on? Another possibility is you got lemon product, but with three of them that is less likely.
Can add switch between router and computer and see if it helps, though unlikely it will.

AX88U is on Version 3.0.0.4.384.8018 which is the latest. The version of Merlin I tried was whatever the latest is, as it was late last night I tried it. Don’t have a switch to test with but don’t think it would make any difference. Same PC I have been using for a few years, only change has been swaps to AX58U and AX11000 (plus the current AX88U) all with awful lan speeds (half of what I get right now at least with my AC88U, which under normal circumstances gets my gig speeds without a struggle).

Are you checking that the ports are at 1Gbps connections?

Don't like/trust apps.

What do fast.com results give?

Are you checking that the ports are at 1Gbps connections?

Don't like/trust apps.

What do fast.com results give?

They are 1gb ports and connection shows at 1gb in network connections in Windows 10. Fast.com varies from 220-285 never any higher. Also did dslreports speed tests and they all never go above 275-280 with the AX routers.

What is your ISP connection? Fibre or something else? Is it anything on their end not optimized to the newer routers?

Dslreports has been wonky for a few months now. Maybe speedtest and fast.com is now too?

What is your ISP connection? Fibre or something else? Is it anything on their end not optimized to the newer routers?

Cable (Spectrum/Time Warner) gigabyte (not fiber). Get 940 down and 45-52 more or less normally. Since covid 19 in the past month speed has gone down due to more saturation in my area. I now get upwards of 600 sometimes more wired with the AC88U and 45-50 down. With all three of the AX routers I get MAX 300 down (think I got 314 once or twice). Numerous speedtest.net servers used all same results pings from 42 to as high as 350 depending on which server/location I choose.

I can use server A (just a generic example) with the AX and get the same lower speeds, swap to the AC and use same server and get double or close to double on the download - upload has remained more or less exactly the same with either/any of the AX routers so the speedtests work properly they just differ vastly in download speeds between the AC and the AX routers.

@boxermansr, remove the Port Forwarding and test the LAN speeds again.
Port Forwarding is known to interfere with NAT Acceleration, depending on implementation.

With your connection, I suggest you power down your entire network and physically disconnect every power cable (from both ends, if possible), Ethernet cable, USB cable and any other cables running between your equipment for at least 15 minutes and ideally, 60 minutes or more. This will reset the connection between your ISP and your network and allow any residual/static charge(s) to dissipate too.

To power-up, do so in the order shown below with the RT-AX88U after a full reset and left at defaults (we are only testing LAN connections, after all).
  • plug in the AC power cable to the wall and plug in the other end into the Cable modem. Wait for at least 5 minutes after the lights show a connection has been established to the ISP.
  • plug in the Ethernet cable from the Cable modem to the RT-AX88U's WAN port.
  • plug in the AC power cable to the wall and plug in the other end to the RT-AX88U and then make sure the power button is in the 'On' position. Wait for at least 5 minutes after powering it on.
  • plug in the Ethernet cable to one of the RT-AX88U's LAN ports and plug in the other end to the PC you will be testing with.
  • plug in the AC power cable to the wall and plug the other end to the PC above.
  • plug in any USB devices needed to control the PC (mouse/keyboard).
  • power up the PC and do as many different speed tests as you can.
If this still shows inconsistencies to your old router, there is some other variable we aren't aware of. :)

@boxermansr, remove the Port Forwarding and test the LAN speeds again.
Port Forwarding is known to interfere with NAT Acceleration, depending on implementation.

I have done that. With both stock and Merlin firmware. Reset (factory) as new with zero configuration done, same results on lan speeds.

With your connection, I suggest you power down your entire network and physically disconnect every power cable (from both ends, if possible), Ethernet cable, USB cable and any other cables running between your equipment for at least 15 minutes and ideally, 60 minutes or more. This will reset the connection between your ISP and your network and allow any residual/static charge(s) to dissipate too.

To power-up, do so in the order shown below with the RT-AX88U after a full reset and left at defaults (we are only testing LAN connections, after all).
  • plug in the AC power cable to the wall and plug in the other end into the Cable modem. Wait for at least 5 minutes after the lights show a connection has been established to the ISP.
  • plug in the Ethernet cable from the Cable modem to the RT-AX88U's WAN port.
  • plug in the AC power cable to the wall and plug in the other end to the RT-AX88U and then make sure the power button is in the 'On' position. Wait for at least 5 minutes after powering it on.
  • plug in the Ethernet cable to one of the RT-AX88U's LAN ports and plug in the other end to the PC you will be testing with.
  • plug in the AC power cable to the wall and plug the other end to the PC above.
  • plug in any USB devices needed to control the PC (mouse/keyboard).
  • power up the PC and do as many different speed tests as you can.
If this still shows inconsistencies to your old router, there is some other variable we aren't aware of. :)

Done all this too. Powered all off for a good hour if not more, while I made and ate dinner, then powered thr modem back on first, waited a good 10-15 minutes afterwards then powered on the router, then 15 minutes or so later the PC. Same results. The past day of testing has all been with the AX88U as I don’t have the 58U or AX11000 anymore but those did the same thing with lan speeds (granted I didn’t do the “power the world down” steps I’ve done this time around).

But, did you leave a fully reset/Initialized RT-AX88U at defaults though? :)

Is it the same with both Modem (your router facing Internet) and Modem/Router modes (your router in double NAT) on your ISP device?

But, did you leave a fully reset/Initialized RT-AX88U at defaults though? :)

Yes first thing I did was factory reset before I powered it down. In fact this go around its still a “clean setup” so to speak as I have not enabled or changed anything since (dns, port forwarding, etc).
Only things I have done (and changed back) is turning off wireless entirely and testing speeds with zero improvement.

Is it the same with both Modem (your router facing Internet) and Modem/Router modes (your router in double NAT) on your ISP device?

Not sure what you are asking? If I have tested with just modem and no router? If so yes, normal speeds (same as I get with AC88U). I havent changed any modes on any of the routers as all I think I saw (don’t recall offhand) were for air mesh and access point (if memory serves).

This all points to a hardware issue then. No other 'AX88U's have been reported to behave this way 'by design'. :)

How fast can you exchange it with a brand new one?

Oh, one last question, on the box, is this an A1.1 China version manufacture?

This all points to a hardware issue then. No other 'AX88U's have been reported to behave this way 'by design'. :)

How fast can you exchange it with a brand new one?

Oh, one last question, on the box, is this an A1.1 China version manufacture?

I have one that the same co-worker who has the AX11000 is going to use in his office if this whole pandemic ever blows over, he will be dropping it off tomorrow. All I recall about mine (not home to look at box) was 2019 production and I want to say that it didn’t say China (I want to say Singapore or Vietnam even though neither sound right and the last time I looked at the box was this morning before I left for work, hoping it would explode from my gnarlish angered stare at it, LOL).

Not sure what you are asking?

Is your ISP device in Modem mode or Modem/Router mode? If you don't know, then whats the WAN IP of the ASUS routers you are testing, public (assigned by the ISP) or private (assigned by the modem/router)?

I'm trying to rule out the possibility your ISP doesn't like the MAC address changes. I've seen that before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!