What's new

ssh commands for ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could I ask a simple question please - I am using SSH (putty) to get into my brand new AC86U, which has some lockups on the web-management page after I installed then uninstalled diversion. I also read about setting lots of DHCP reservations being an issue. Anyway, I wanted to get the logs to post to SNB for some assistance; so far I can reboot the router (after Telnetting in) but that deletes the logs (which I understand are (mostly) in /tmp/syslog.log? What command do I need to type to get these please? Ta k.

Simply type "cat /folder/file" (without "), so if you need to view the content of /tmp/syslog.log type "cat /tmp/syslog.log".

Excellent, thanks Chris, much appreciated.

service start_vpnclient1

I know this a Merlin thread, and I have used Merlin for years, but do you know what the command is in stock Asus firmware as I've had to shift back to that to use AIMesh and I haven't had much luck scouring the forums. service start_vpnclient1 is accepted and produces the response 'Done' but the VPN doesn't activate. I want to add it to an SSH button on my Android phone as Asus of course don't support policy based routing so when you need to turn it off to access certain sites it's a real pain.

I know this a Merlin thread, and I have used Merlin for years, but do you know what the command is in stock Asus firmware as I've had to shift back to that to use AIMesh and I haven't had much luck scouring the forums. service start_vpnclient1 is accepted and produces the response 'Done' but the VPN doesn't activate. I want to add it to an SSH button on my Android phone as Asus of course don't support policy based routing so when you need to turn it off to access certain sites it's a real pain.

RMerlin has responded a couple of times at least that the command you used was only there for debugging purposes on his build(s). It does not do anything, afaik.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around: there’s a lot more where that came from. (Good info, rather than SSH commands!)

Hello. I'm in need of help. My 4G AC55U router has the ability to select two LTE bands while in auto selection mode, but only one when selecting manually. The problem is that my router is selecting the slowest bands during day (because of the ISP cell tower configuration) in auto mode and I want to force it/override it to select two bands of my choosing or disable bands I don't want. I was wondering if it could be doable using command line.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm in need of help. My 4G AC55U router has the ability to select two LTE bands while in auto selection mode, but only one when selecting manually. The problem is that my router is selecting the slowest bands during day (because of the ISP cell tower configuration) in auto mode and I want to force it/override it to select two bands of my choosing or disable bands I don't want. I was wondering if it could be doable using command line.
I don't believe Merlin makes a firmware for that model of router.

Or maybe using QXDM. I only know that this software can be used to unlock and lock lte bands on Qualcomm based devices, but that is all
Sorry, Merlin only supports Broadcom based routers not Qualcomm or LTE devices.

Hi. I'm a new user in SNB. I need some help. May I know what are the correct commands for...

1. Turn on/off parental control switch.
2. Turn on/off guest WiFi.
3. Turn on/off VPN server.
4. Disconnect/reconnect WAN.
5. Status of WAN connection.
6. Turn on/off WiFi network
7. Block/unblock a device from the Internet

Appreciate it if someone can help me out. Thanks.

OK. So far, I have managed to find out these commands...

For VPN Client 1:
Code:
Turn on: service start_vpnclient1
Turn off: service stop_vpnclient1
Get Status: nvram get vpn_client1_state

For WAN (Internet connection):
Code:
Turn on: service start_wan
Turn off: service stop_wan
Get Status: UNKNOWN

For Guest WiFi (2.4Ghz, slot 2):
Code:
Turn on: nvram set wl0.2_bss_enabled=1; service restart_wireless
Turn off: nvram set wl0.2_bss_enabled=0; service restart_wireless
Get Status: nvram get wl0.2_bss_enabled

For VPN Server 1:
Code:
Turn on: service start_vpnserver1
Turn off: service stop_vpnserver1
Get Status: nvram get vpn_server1_state
For this one, even though it is turned off, the web interface is still showing on. Anyone knows what am I missing?

This is what I get so far. I still don't have the command to control these switches...

2022-02-27_162459.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!