What's new

Suggestion - syslog

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johndoe85

Why don't Asuswrt-Merlin collect syslog from all routers out there?
scrambled logs ofc, but it gotta be a good way to debug and find flaws users otherwise would have to report on.

Something that is on by default but can be turned off, or vise versa.

If the logs that leaves the router are scrambled from IP and MAC, SSiD etc, i don't see a problem with this?

Good use?

If the logs that leaves the router are scrambled from IP and MAC, SSiD etc, i don't see a problem with this?
Are you seriously suggesting that all routers with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed should continuously upload their syslogs to a central server on the internet, and that activity is opted-in by default. That is wrong on so many levels.

Last edited:
Are you seriously suggesting that all routers with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed should continuously upload their syslogs to a central server on the internet, and that activity is opted-in by default. That is wrong on so many levels.
Such as what? If the logs are anonymous it can't matter?

Why don't Asuswrt-Merlin collect syslog from all routers out there?
scrambled logs ofc, but it gotta be a good way to debug and find flaws users otherwise would have to report on.

Something that is on by default but can be turned off, or vise versa.

Good use?
Er, no. o_O

First, the Asuswrt stock firmware has a feedback page in it, where it allows you to upload logs, or even the router's configuration file, in the feedback.

Second, Asuswrt-Merlin does not need to collect logs, the logs are collected to help diagnose problems, the Stock firmware has many tech support staff from full pay jobs at Asus who can read the logs to diagnose problems, But the technical support of Merlin firmware is from the community members, So when community members need logs for further analysis, they'll ask, other than that, there's no point in collecting logs because no one out there is being paid to read those logs every day.

A similar question was asked a few months ago, the guy wanted to share firewall logs to the DShield project, and I looked at that project, and it was a case worth sharing because there was a community-driven volunteer there that was focused on getting through Firewall logs found threats. You can also join them if you are interested, it should be easy to write such a script to share logs.

Last edited: