What's new

Using My Book Duo 8 TB RAID with RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andrus

New Around Here
Wester Digital My Book Duo 16TB USB drive is partitioned in GPT format and
formatted as single RAID 1 8TB drive NTFS in windows 10.
It is connected to Asus RT-AC87U router USB3 port.

Router shows that there is no USB device connected and message appears in router log.

How to share this device in router as windows drive ?

Asus standard latest firmware is used. Asus support wrote that this device is not supported.

Will AsusMerlin upgrade resolve the issue and allow to share this drive in Windows LAN ?
Or is there some other solution?

Just don't - please, just don't - use it on the local PC... and share it from there if needed.

LAN does not contain permanent PCs. Only Dell Precision is connected through wifi sometimes. I'm looking for a solution so that Asus will automatically create backups from internet to this drive in every night.

Thread
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87-external-usb-3-drive-issue.24089
sescribes that it is not solved in September 2015 in AsusMerlin.

This thread describes like connecting to Asus USB2 port will work. However in my case it does not work also.

Asus log contains:

Jun 3 21:12:48 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
Jun 3 21:12:48 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
Jun 3 21:12:48 kernel: usb 1-1: ep 0x81 - rounding interval to 128 microframes
Jun 3 21:12:48 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN no SS endpoint bMaxBurst
Jun 3 21:12:48 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
Jun 3 21:12:48 kernel: hub 1-1:1.0: config failed, can't read hub descriptor (err -22)

Why this drive should not connected to Asus?
How to update Linux kernel so that this drive is supported ?

How DD-WRT can support 4.4 kernel then ?

Because DD-WRT compiles their own driver, and they don't need pre-compiled modules from Broadcom (CTF), Tuxera (NTFS/HFS+) nor Trend Micro (BWDPI). It's the price to pay to be using a non officially supported kernel.