1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Virgin Media Hub 3 , RT-AC68U Speed Loss

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by linkmaster, Jan 20, 2019.

1. linkmaster

linkmaster Regular Contributor

My setup

Virgin Media Hub 3 in modem only mode, Line is maxed at 352 Mbs

RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.8_2

PC running ethernet connection directly to the RT-AC68U

My issue (I'm hoping someone may have had this issue and know a setting I can change)

IF I run through the Router , the max speed I get is 195-204Mbs

IF I run directly connected to the Hub, using the same cable from my PC , I max out at 350-360Mbs.

Does anyone know of a setting in the firmware I can tweak to get my full speed going through the RT-AC68U?

The difference in speed is a huge drop.

2. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

turn on nat acceleration or turn off QoS and TrendMicro

3. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Senior Member

As a side note, check in the Virgin Community forums to see if your SH3 has the firmware version that tries to reduce the impact of the Puma chipset issue that affects your connection. Particularly if you play online games.

muffintastic likes this.
  4. linkmaster

Turned Nat acceleration to Auto and Trend Micro and QoS were already off , unfortunately no change.

5. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

just for testing/comparing, change your modem from bridge to router mode, reset 68U and configure in router-mode too (double NAT), in another test with AP mode.

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Power cycle the router to make sure to change is effective. Then check the state of HW acceleration on the Tools page.

7. linkmaster

Turns out HW acceleration was being auto-toggled off because I had Per IP logging toggled on, switching it off and a re-boot did the trick..many thanks.