What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
Is the "PIA" VPN meant to show as "Holy.gg" with a 300ms ping in the UK? Just noticed it, I'm in the UK as well but when I chcked, the ISP Was Holy.gg which is a Minecraft host and tests were 300ms ping but when I check PIA via the app on mobile/desktop the ISP is M247 with a 25-30ms ping?

I think it's worth reiterating that this change points the script at files in a backup folder on the wevpn website, so while it allows the script to run for NordVPN and PIA users, I have no idea if those backup files for WeVPN are actually valid, useable files.

Merged, thanks!
You got it, Jack... I would definitely consider this a "band-aid"... I have a feeling something is up on their end if they just ended up changing things like that. Do you still have contact with them? Please let us know if you find out...

You got it, Jack... I would definitely consider this a "band-aid"... I have a feeling something is up on their end if they just ended up changing things like that. Do you still have contact with them? Please let us know if you find out...
I did try reaching out but no response. vpnmgr is still acknowledged on their website, though

I did try reaching out but no response. vpnmgr is still acknowledged on their website, though
Change management at its best, right? Don't tell the downstream devs when major changes may be occurring... :p

Hi Jack

Not sure if this has been asked before (apologies if it has)...
I have vpnmgr reconnect each day, and occasionally I get an "Authentication Failed" message, and due to the way VPN director is implemented, all traffic is still routed via my WAN connection.
Wondering if there is a way for vpnmgr to 'see' the AUTH_FAILED message, and retry n times? (this could be a configurable option so users can still set this to 0 as it currently would be)

Jul 27 00:00:06 ovpn-client1[27637]: AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED

Hi Jack

Not sure if this has been asked before (apologies if it has)...
I have vpnmgr reconnect each day, and occasionally I get an "Authentication Failed" message, and due to the way VPN director is implemented, all traffic is still routed via my WAN connection.
Wondering if there is a way for vpnmgr to 'see' the AUTH_FAILED message, and retry n times? (this could be a configurable option so users can still set this to 0 as it currently would be)

Jul 27 00:00:06 ovpn-client1[27637]: AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED
Don't get me wrong, VPNMGR is pretty awesome... but this is in fact one of the main reasons I built VPNMON-R2... I needed something that would recognize that the VPN connection wasn't connected, and attempt a re-connect. It eventually grew into wanting it to randomly connect to any of my 5 VPN slots. Feel free to give it a shot, and let me know if you run into any issues. It compliments VPNMGR out of the box.

Would this script (VPNMGR) work with VPN Unlimited?

Update: Just went to the VPNMGR thread and it seems it should work fine. I'll definitely try it out!! I appreciate your work on this.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, VPNMGR is pretty awesome... but this is in fact one of the main reasons I built VPNMON-R2... I needed something that would recognize that the VPN connection wasn't connected, and attempt a re-connect. It eventually grew into wanting it to randomly connect to any of my 5 VPN slots. Feel free to give it a shot, and let me know if you run into any issues. It compliments VPNMGR out of the box.
Thanks Viktor! This looks amazing, and you've certainly put a tremendous amount of work into it, so I think it's worth trying out over the weekend when I have some spare time :)
One thing I'd love to add to the wishlist is a webgui interface for your script (but that's just me being picky lol)

Thanks Viktor! This looks amazing, and you've certainly put a tremendous amount of work into it, so I think it's worth trying out over the weekend when I have some spare time :)
One thing I'd love to add to the wishlist is a webgui interface for your script (but that's just me being picky lol)
You can set it and forget it using the "screen" command, and will just chug along/keep monitoring things in the background. I hope to build a web interface for it some day, but that requires a tremendous amount of effort and skill. I hope to be there at some point. ;) Until then, it will have to simply function as an SSH dashboard.

After Hard Reset and USB disk reformat on Merlin build 386.7_2 on AX86U, followed with clean install of vpnmgr 2.3.1 isn't loading correctly in the web GUI, I am only seeing the top of page (same as earlier on this thread @Galaxysurfer).

After Hard Reset and USB disk reformat on Merlin build 386.7_2 on AX86U, followed with clean install of vpnmgr 2.3.1 isn't loading correctly in the web GUI, I am only seeing the top of page (same as earlier on this thread @Galaxysurfer).

Same here. Only seems to affect the interface, and still works OK provided you set up a VPN client manually then run vpnmgr in the terminal to activate management and set the update schedule etc.

It's possible to set a provider, country and/or city in the config file at /jffs/addons/vpnmgr.d

Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 11.20.02.png

Last edited:
Please aid me and contact their support team at https://support.wevpn.com/hc/en-us/requests/new asking for alternative URLs. If they don't respond/provide options within 5 business days, I will remove WeVPN from the addon.
And while you all are at it, please ask if they have any open public APIs available to help 3rd party applications find, select and sort VPN server endpoints by country... and would be a bonus if they also provided server load through the API ;)

And while you all are at it, please ask if they have any open public APIs available to help 3rd party applications find, select and sort VPN server endpoints by country... and would be a bonus if they also provided server load through the API ;)
i suspect that's less likely for an immediate new feature :D

Please aid me and contact their support team at https://support.wevpn.com/hc/en-us/requests/new asking for alternative URLs. If they don't respond/provide options within 5 business days, I will remove WeVPN from the addon.
From WeVPN tech support:
Rather than a url to download a zip file we can provide you with an API URL where you can send a post request with the location name and the openvpn protocol and the config will be returned in a json object. Let me know if that will work for you, the list of locations is already available at https://client.wevpn.com/api/v3/locations .

Same here. Only seems to affect the interface, and still works OK provided you set up a VPN client manually then run vpnmgr in the terminal to activate management and set the update schedule etc.

It's possible to set a provider, country and/or city in the config file at /jffs/addons/vpnmgr.d

View attachment 43521
Same GUI problem. Is there a fix?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!