What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
is there anything vpnmgr does that vpmon doesn't?

@Jack Yaz there is definitely a lot of overlap but not sure @Viktor Jaep handles this for example?

SecureFXSecureFXScreen Shot 15 Aug 2022 at 10.16.00.jpg

I think for vpnmgr I will have to investigate working in their API, which isn't a small undertaking. @Viktor Jaep I don't suppose you have the zip folders for the old files saved anywhere do you?
I'm so sorry... Unfortunately I don't have a copy of these... :(

Actually, @Viktor Jaep is there anything vpnmgr does that vpmon doesn't? (excluding a WebUI)? Maybe its time i shutter this particular addon
Yeah, while I rely on the user making sure they have correctly configured VPN client slots in order to monitor those, I relied on vpnmgr's excellent capabilities at writing these various configs to the VPN slots for those using WeVPN/Nord/PIA, as @Stephen Harrington pointed out. I completely understand your pain in supporting the functionality and capabilities of the various VPN providers, and getting this all to work within the VPN framework, especially when they end up changing the way they function, like going the API route vs. the zip files. :(

Good to see they copy and pasted the same response!

I think for vpnmgr I will have to investigate working in their API, which isn't a small undertaking. @Viktor Jaep I don't suppose you have the zip folders for the old files saved anywhere do you?
Are you looking for these two files?
Code:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root      186.5K Sat Apr 30 00:00:11 2022 wevpn_tcp_standard.zip
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root      186.5K Sat Apr 30 00:00:10 2022 wevpn_udp_standard.zip

Thanks @chongnt

For people affected, please can you run this command at the terminal, then use option r in the vpnmgr menu?

Code:
/jffs/scripts/vpnmgr develop

Thanks @chongnt

For people affected, please can you run this command at the terminal, then use option r in the vpnmgr menu?

Code:
/jffs/scripts/vpnmgr develop
Ran a new install of vpnmgr on 386.7_2 (problem with vpnmgr web GUI),
then ran this command and option r and now I see the full vpnmgr web GUI.

Thanks for this.

Changes merged to master, so anyone on develop will see a minor update to bring them back to the mainline release
@jack_yaz I updated to your latest release and I’m now seeing continual high CPU demands from vpnmgr - is constantly top of the list in htop :p Have rebooted a couple of times but still the same. I’m using it for a single NordVPN connection.
What’s easiest way of reverting to test, or should I try and dig it out of a JFFS backup?

@jack_yaz I updated to your latest release and I’m now seeing continual high CPU demands from vpnmgr - is constantly top of the list in htop :p Have rebooted a couple of times but still the same. I’m using it for a single NordVPN connection.
What’s easiest way of reverting to test, or should I try and dig it out of a JFFS backup?
Same here...high CPU usage with vpnmgr. I uninstalled it and CPU usage was still high until I rebooted the router.

Same here...high CPU usage with vpnmgr.
Thanks for confirming I wasn’t going crazy
If @Jack Yaz doesn’t chime in I’ll try and revert to 2.3.1 and confirm.

did anyone happen to check which process/command was using the CPU from vpnmgr?
and any logging from vpnmgr in syslog?

Ah, think I see the issue. I'm going to hazard a guess there'll be log spam about testing the client is up

Hotfix pushed. If it's not that, I'll need more info

Reverting to 2.3.1 fixed for me, will test your Hotfix when I can in a couple of hours or so @Jack Yaz. Didn’t get to look at logs at the time, was rushing to get it stable so I could go out, sorry!

@Jack Yaz
Had to remove the latest version... Nord keeps disconnecting with "Error connecting, authentication failed." I've reset my password as using the credentials in my Nord account. I'm testing it with it uninstalled not sure if Nord has updated something, or it doesn't like the latest version of vpnmgr. I am running the latest FW on AX86 and did a factory reset but still happened. Previous version was working no issue, however I can't seem to roll back. I'm not sure if it's just me or anyone else but using the standard VPN Client is working fine.

@Jack Yaz
Had to remove the latest version... Nord keeps disconnecting with "Error connecting, authentication failed." I've reset my password as using the credentials in my Nord account. I'm testing it with it uninstalled not sure if Nord has updated something, or it doesn't like the latest version of vpnmgr. I am running the latest FW on AX86 and did a factory reset but still happened. Previous version was working no issue, however I can't seem to roll back. I'm not sure if it's just me or anyone else but using the standard VPN Client is working fine.
i did change some of the custom options for the VPN client to improve reliability and security, perhaps they are to blame if you can reinstall vpnmgr, can you use the custom settings option (to populate them) then turn them off, and try re-adding auth-nocache please?

1661257663689.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!