What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
i did change some of the custom options for the VPN client to improve reliability and security, perhaps they are to blame if you can reinstall vpnmgr, can you use the custom settings option (to populate them) then turn them off, and try re-adding auth-nocache please?

View attachment 43776
Added auth-nocache. Testing.

I did notice when I used the standard config upload without vpnmgr it added this to custom config

verify-x509-name CN=uk2406.nordvpn.com

Same with different countries too. Maybe they've updated? I have noticed they added a token feature too in the account section to generate so you can set a router or Linux machine up.

@Jack Yaz
Adding auth-nocache has fixed it.
Hi there,

it hasn’t for me, or maybe I am doing it wrong. I have added the auth-nocache statement to the custom config of the active OpenVPN client, however, I still receive the error message.
4322DE46-D020-4971-93E5-B6B1B3161A7E.jpeg

Hi there,

it hasn’t for me, or maybe I am doing it wrong. I have added the auth-nocache statement to the custom config of the active OpenVPN client, however, I still receive the error message.View attachment 44381
Perhaps give this one a shot? I posted my config here... perhaps order matters?

Perhaps give this one a shot? I posted my config here... perhaps order matters?

Yes, it is working now after moving the auth-nocache command up the list in custom commands

@Jack Yaz
Well... after numerous tries, custom command adding and settings back to default I still keep getting disconnected from NordVPN with the same authentication error message, I thought previous fix worked however it doesn't. Unless Nord has changed anything it isn't working for me on my 86U and yes it is running the latest FW build for it. If you want my log send me a DM and I will attach it.

However uninstalling vpnmgr and using the default built in client I have no issues what-so-ever

Last edited:
sorry, I have to take this back. The error continues to occur even when moving the auth-nocache statement to the top of the command list.
Not quite sure how to help you in this case. Needless to say, I you want to continue an excellent VPN experience, please consider installing VPNMON-R2 from amtm.

I have set up 5 clients with Nord VPN and am using this addon. I also installed the VPNMON-R2 using the minimum ping usage policy. When the router is booted, do I automatically start the vpn client 1, do I also have to start the other 4?

I have set up 5 clients with Nord VPN and am using this addon. I also installed the VPNMON-R2 using the minimum ping usage policy. When the router is booted, do I automatically start the vpn client 1, do I also have to start the other 4?
If you have VPNMON-R2 also automatically starting up, it will actually initiate that first connection for you on a random slot 1-5. When it goes through it's reset process, it will check in with vpnmgr to get the latest servers refreshed in your slots. By default, make sure all your vpn slots are configured not to auto start, else it starts becoming a mess (or a game of whack-a-mole). :)

I adjusted the VPNMON-R2 like this, did I do something wrong ??? If I restart the router from the app or try to switch off the power, the VPNMON-R2 does not restart by itself. How can I solve? To see it work I have to log into AMTM, launch it and use the m1 option

Attachments

• vpnmng.jpg
    vpnmng.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 61
I adjusted the VPNMON-R2 like this, did I do something wrong ??? If I restart the router from the app or try to switch off the power, the VPNMON-R2 does not restart by itself. How can I solve? To see it work I have to log into AMTM, launch it and use the m1 option

Your settings looks fine. VPNMON-R2 does not autostart on router reboots. I leave that to the individual to handle should they want that, since everyone has a different way/preference of doing this. I do have some instructions and guidance here, how I and others have done this:

Unfortunately the script vanished all the time when I reboot the modem. What can I do to prevent it from vanishing?
Did anything else vanish? Or just this script?

At the moment it is available again. I have restarted the router several times and it it still there. Maybe just a glitch.
I would definitely make sure your flashdrive isn't flaking out.

I have tested the scheduled update/reload. I set it to every minute but nothing happens. Any clue?

Code:
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: VPN client 1 is up! (CH408 Standard UDP)
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: VPN client 1 updated (CH408 Standard UDP)
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Removing management of VPN client 2
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Removing scheduled update for VPN client 2
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Scheduled update cancelled for VPN client 2
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Management of VPN client 2 successfully removed
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Removing management of VPN client 3
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Removing scheduled update for VPN client 3
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Scheduled update cancelled for VPN client 3
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Management of VPN client 3 successfully removed
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Removing management of VPN client 4
Feb 24 16:44:20 vpnmgr: Removing scheduled update for VPN client 4
Feb 24 16:44:21 vpnmgr: Scheduled update cancelled for VPN client 4
Feb 24 16:44:21 vpnmgr: Management of VPN client 4 successfully removed
Feb 24 16:44:21 vpnmgr: Removing management of VPN client 5
Feb 24 16:44:21 vpnmgr: Removing scheduled update for VPN client 5
Feb 24 16:44:21 vpnmgr: Scheduled update cancelled for VPN client 5
Feb 24 16:44:21 vpnmgr: Management of VPN client 5 successfully removed

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, I have also found the issue here. It does has no effect when you schedule through the UI. When I do it throug ssh it works perfectly

Maybe you can test by using a different browser? Or the same browser, but disable all the plugins (or via incognito mode).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!