What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
In the case of vpnunlimited, only three things change: the cert, the key, and the remote address of the vpn server. One downloads a configuration after logging in, and use it thereafter. So one would need to combine just a file with the basic configurations, another with the cert/key/address combo of the server chosen, out of several downloaded.

You know you can actually delete the post, not just the contents, right? :)

Thanks. Unfortunately I mainly view these and other forums using Tapatalk and it's viewing capability's are basic. I had no idea that there was a poll when i made my post. I was saying that it was a pity that I couldn't use this as my VPN providers are SurfShark and AirVPN. It wasn't until I read a bit more I realised this and deleted my post. Again, while I can edit my post in Tapatalk, I have not found an option to delete it.
Another issue is that I cannot see user signatures no matter which way my iDevices are orientated.

In the case of vpnunlimited, only three things change: the cert, the key, and the remote address of the vpn server. One downloads a configuration after logging in, and use it thereafter. So one would need to combine just a file with the basic configurations, another with the cert/key/address combo of the server chosen, out of several downloaded.

The script has the capability to change these things... The challenge is getting the information in the first place. NordVPN has an open api that is used to gather the required information... VPN unlimited looks to have an sdk that's used to access their api (and the user needs to be logged in to do so).

The challenge is getting the information in the first place.
Yes, but these never change for a given server. So I'm thinking that the mechanics in this script that allow changing servers could be adapted to read in the new variables if one switches servers and set that as the current condition. The user would then need to populate the files that would be read in. The idea would be to use just one client slot and switch that way.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, since these are just ovpn config files being read in.

A vote for IPVanish here @Jack Yaz :D
Looks promising ;)
There's an API to get all servers and current capacity - https://www.ipvanish.com/api/servers.geojson - and ovpn files are all available directly - https://www.ipvanish.com/software/configs/ (ca crt looks to also be here).

Yes, but these never change for a given server. So I'm thinking that the mechanics in this script that allow changing servers could be adapted to read in the new variables if one switches servers and set that as the current condition. The user would then need to populate the files that would be read in. The idea would be to use just one client slot and switch that way.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, since these are just ovpn config files being read in.

From the support information, it looks like VPN unlimited has some kind of an app that generates the ovpn file... I can't see direct downloads anywhere. Is that correct?

You're not overthinking it at all :) Once generated, it is just an ovpn file but all the contents of it would need to be hardcoded in the script because (without using their API) it's not possible to get the configuration automatically. It would certainly be possible to automate this from an example ovpn file but this would need to be maintained manually if the provider changed anything... and if there is anything specific to the user generated through the API, it will only work for the user who provides the example file.

Looks promising ;)
There's an API to get all servers and current capacity - https://www.ipvanish.com/api/servers.geojson - and ovpn files are all available directly - https://www.ipvanish.com/software/configs/ (ca crt looks to also be here).

From the support information, it looks like VPN unlimited has some kind of an app that generates the ovpn file... I can't see direct downloads anywhere. Is that correct?

You're not overthinking it at all :) Once generated, it is just an ovpn file but all the contents of it would need to be hardcoded in the script because (without using their API) it's not possible to get the configuration automatically. It would certainly be possible to automate this from an example ovpn file but this would need to be maintained manually if the provider changed anything... and if there is anything specific to the user generated through the API, it will only work for the user who provides the example file.
Yes, so I could see downloading 6 openvpn.config files into a folder, and this would allow selecting any one of them into client 1, leaving the other four client slots for other vpn configurations from other providers.

This app unlocks the idea that you could have more than 5 clients in the mix.

Thanks. Unfortunately I mainly view these and other forums using Tapatalk and it's viewing capability's are basic. I had no idea that there was a poll when i made my post. I was saying that it was a pity that I couldn't use this as my VPN providers are SurfShark and AirVPN. It wasn't until I read a bit more I realised this and deleted my post. Again, while I can edit my post in Tapatalk, I have not found an option to delete it.
Another issue is that I cannot see user signatures no matter which way my iDevices are orientated.

The question that remains then. Why are you using Tapatalk? :)

Surfing on Edge on the phone is liberating for me. No silly app needed.

Thanks @Jack Yaz for this awesome script.

I noticed that even though the clients are not managed by this script, they're overwritten with the settings.

Code:
2.    Update configuration for a managed VPN client
3.    Search for new recommended server for a managed VPN client

attached images show when using option 3 on client 2

edit: changed images to their original resolution (had to go to the webpage instead of using tapatalk)
Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-094808_JuiceSSH.png
    Screenshot_20200629-094808_JuiceSSH.png
    107 KB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_20200629-094910_JuiceSSH.png
    Screenshot_20200629-094910_JuiceSSH.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Thanks @Jack Yaz for this awesome script.

I noticed that even though the clients are not managed by this script, they're overwritten with the settings.

Code:
2.    Update configuration for a managed VPN client
3.    Search for new recommended server for a managed VPN client

attached images show when using option 3 on client 2
5833de8add31f8f89472531c5be61270.jpg
1e2d7a627f555a82a852972aa6e778ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Good spot, fixed in develop

The question that remains then. Why are you using Tapatalk? :)

Surfing on Edge on the phone is liberating for me. No silly app needed.

A creature of habit I guess. I must admit that the ‘new’ Edge browser is quite good.

Ironically I do have it set up on my iDevices too.

Vote here from me for SurfShark (I’ve already added AirVPN in the poll).

@Jack Yaz
Running smoothly on AC86U and AC68U, using NordVPN. Any chance you could a schedule feature to auto update country data also so we can just leave it be, will this be added to AMTM?

@Jack Yaz
Running smoothly on AC86U and AC68U, using NordVPN. Any chance you could a schedule feature to auto update country data also so we can just leave it be, will this be added to AMTM?
country data is checked for updates nightly :)

no idea about amtm. i don't know if we'll meet the "useful to many users" criteria!

NordVPN App update: it appears that, as of this morning, NordVPN removed the ability for the user to check the server list for a particular city from their app.

Now a user can still select the country of choice but when selecting a city you will only see the number of servers but no other detailed info (server selection by load, name, distance and speed). [emoji3525]

I am hoping they revert this change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vote here from me for SurfShark (I’ve already added AirVPN in the poll).
Surfshark has an api to list countries, cities and load - https://surfshark.com/api/v1/server/clusters
Can't see SurfShark ovpn files for download individually (publicly) though. only all at once in a zip from https://account.surfshark.com/api/v1/server/configurations.
They can be downloaded individually once logged in but I can't check what the API url is to list these as I don't have an account.

AirVPN also appears to have (a pretty comprehensive) api... but i can't log in to that either :(

Surfshark has an api to list countries, cities and load - https://surfshark.com/api/v1/server/clusters
Can't see SurfShark ovpn files for download individually (publicly) though. only all at once in a zip from https://account.surfshark.com/api/v1/server/configurations.
They can be downloaded individually once logged in but I can't check what the API url is to list these as I don't have an account.

AirVPN also appears to have (a pretty comprehensive) api... but i can't log in to that either :(
for the providers only host an archive of all ovpn, i'm contemplating downloading them to be cached on the router, and doing a period check for new ones. we can then select the relevant file from local storage.

NordVPN App update: it appears that, as of this morning, NordVPN removed the ability for the user to check the server list for a particular city from their app.

Now a user can still select the country of choice but when selecting a city you will only see the number of servers but no other detailed info (server selection by load, name, distance and speed). [emoji3525]

I am hoping they revert this change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night's midnight update using the nvpnmgr code worked flawlessly - first programmatic change to a new target and worked spectacularly. Thanks to the author and other contributors. This was a great find - hope we can keep it stable and operational. Running on 384.17 with AC-86U.

I use script developed by @h0me5k1n with small modification for select preferred country.

in nordvpnmanager.sh file at the beginning I added
Code:
COUNTRY_TXT="Switzerland"
COUNTRY_ID(){
curl --silent "https://api.nordvpn.com/v1/servers/countries" | jq --raw-output '.[] | select(.name >
}
COUNTRY=$(COUNTRY_ID)
If variable COUNTRY_TXT is "" the script work like before and select recommended server from all
and i replace function Getrecommended() with this code:
Code:
getRecommended(){
 SCRIPTSECTION=getRecommended
 curl -s -m 5 "https://api.nordvpn.com/v1/servers/recommendations?filters\[country_id\]=$COUNTRY&fi>
 SCRIPTSECTION=
}

Maybe, @Jack Yaz , is good to add this option for this script?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!