What's new

WAN Speed Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrmtz85

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

New member here. Read posts over the years with other issues and found them very helpful. I'm finally at my wits end on this one, so I figured it was time to join in :).

Over the last week I noticed a decline in my speedtests. I have 400/20, and I used to always get that (usually about 410-420 down). Now I'm only getting around 320 down consistently. The kicker is, I get the full 420 if I hook up my machine straight into my modem.

My setup is: Modem-> Asus 68u-> everything else.

My first instinct was a cabling issue, so I took out some spare CAT6s I had and tried many different combinations to no avail. As a test I would transfer large files to my NAS, which is also on my network, and see my usual 100-110MB/s, so I at least know those devices had a gigabit link. They're also both directly plugged into the router.

After some searching, some people had claimed they've had the same issue with the router, and someone suggested an NVRAM clear to sort things out. I was about to try this when I found my old router, which is a Netgear WNDR37AV. This one also has gigabit ports, so I figured it was worth a shot. Lo and behold, 320 down again! Even if something went wrong with my current router, there's no way that affected my old one which had been sitting there for about a year.

I feel I should add that about 2 weeks ago I was having speed transfer issues from my PC to the NAS. In that case it turned out an AVG Free update. Uninstalled it and switched over to Panda with no further issues. However, I feel if that were in some way affecting the connection, it would affect it regardless of whether the data was coming from the router or the modem directly.

Unfortunately this is my only machine with a gigabit port (my old laptop only had 100mbit). The router has AC capabilities, but unfortunately, the PC doesn't, My WiFi does connect at 450, however, real testing only gets up to about 180.

So, with all that being said, any thoughts? If anyone needs any more info on anything lemme know.

Thanks!

reboot the modem or try change out the modem. With cable and DSL the internet cable is subject to wear and tear and external conditions. You may want to call your ISP to test your line and modem and check your sync speeds.

I've done more than enough reboots over the course of my tests, so I've definitely tried that.

And would a new modem help me? It seems like it is getting the full speed since plugging in the PC directly to the modem gets me the full 400. I've done tests where I run it through the router and get 300, and about a minute later run it direct modem->PC, with no settings changes, and get 400.

check that you are using hardware acceleration on your router. on an asus router this should be easy. Set your bandwidth configurations to 80% of your internet bandwidths too (for QoS and etc).

Just tried both of them. Separately and together, and no dice. Is there something that may have changed on my machine that only affects it when on a router for some reason? Because I had made absolutely no changes to the router when this started happening, and I was getting the full 400 before with neither HW nor QOS enabled. And I do find it odd that the old router, which I had also not messed with, is also capping me at the same speed.

Has your ISP upgraded any firmware on your modem? Have you tried cabling an unmanaged gig switch between router and modem? Could be a port negotiation issue that has cropped up.

Has your ISP upgraded any firmware on your modem? Have you tried cabling an unmanaged gig switch between router and modem? Could be a port negotiation issue that has cropped up.

Sorry it took me this long to reply, been at work all day.

Managed to find a laptop at work with a gigabit port and brought it home. These are the tests I've run right now:
Work laptop connected to router: DL 320mbps
Work laptop connected to modem: DL 420mbps
Work laptop connected to D-Link DGS-1008G gigabit switch: 420mbps

I guess this narrows it down to a modem issue. If 2 unrelated routers have the same issue, as well as 2 unrelated PCs having the same problem, it has to be the modem, correct?

I do have access to some of the modem's more advanced features (I switched it from routing + WiFi to simple bridge mode myself), so is there anything I should try before calling tech support?

Thanks for the help!

Switching it to bridge mode should fix it.

Oh, it's been in bridged mode since the day I got it. Wasn't gonna let myself get double natted. And I went in to verify last night that it was still in bridged mode, and still good on that end.

Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults yet? That would be the next thing to try. I know that doesn't really make sense given the fact that both routers showed the issue, but it's worth a shot.

Sorry it took me this long to reply, been at work all day.

Managed to find a laptop at work with a gigabit port and brought it home. These are the tests I've run right now:
Work laptop connected to router: DL 320mbps
Work laptop connected to modem: DL 420mbps
Work laptop connected to D-Link DGS-1008G gigabit switch: 420mbps

I guess this narrows it down to a modem issue. If 2 unrelated routers have the same issue, as well as 2 unrelated PCs having the same problem, it has to be the modem, correct?

I do have access to some of the modem's more advanced features (I switched it from routing + WiFi to simple bridge mode myself), so is there anything I should try before calling tech support?

Thanks for the help!

You say you get 420mbps when the laptop is connected to a D-Link switch. I assume your are testing like this: Modem ->Switch->Laptop without the router involved? If so, try connecting it like this: Modem->Switch->Router->Laptop and see what happens.